Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Do Crappie Schools hang out with Striper Schools

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do Crappie Schools hang out with Striper Schools

and Bass Schools during the fall feeding frenzie on shad or do they high tail for cover, until the carnage is over? Seems like they would like to feed too, but may be prayed upon by all the bass types. Is there a pecking order amongst different species? What's your opinion on this?
    Last edited by Outlaw1&2; 11-04-2009 at 04:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends on the lake. some lakes like lanier have good populations of 30-40 pound striper and that puts most crappie in to the good looking bait category. I think when your catching smaller stripers 1-6 pound range then the larger crappie are not intimidated by them at all. The way striper and hybrids means the crappie have to feed below them. its just hard as you know to put the bait in a crappie's face before a striper takes the bait

Post Thanks / Like

This being my first year targeting crappie, I have caught alot of L.M bass when fishing/trying to catch crappie. it seems to me that they are both schooled close together feeding on minnows, not sure its just something i noticed the last couple of months.

dgi

East TN, Douglas,Cherokee,Watuga and South Holston
    Post Thanks / Like

i agree depend on the size striper and rock fish
    Speck

Real men troll for crappie (Here Fishy Fishy !)

Post Thanks / Like

I have caught crappie in the immediate area of schooling hybrid on West Point. WP hybrid are in the range of 2 to 5 lbs. Safety in numbers ???????

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with what has been said as I have preached the speed up for for Stripes,slow down for crappie phenomenon for many years when longlineing, but now that I look back I'm thinking this to be true only in the spring of the year when things aren't so agressive. I also agree about the stock of a given Lake or a certain part of a Lake, if a huge number of Stripers or whatever doesn't exist, then this probably wouldn't take place, as no threat would be present..... I don't know, just one of those things I guess.
    Last edited by Outlaw1&2; 11-04-2009 at 06:23 PM.