Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Any Ideas on making your own drift sock

Post Thanks / Like

Default Any Ideas on making your own drift sock

I'd think you could buy some Rip-stop and one inch webing and sew your own for a lot less than store bought. Anyone ever tried or have some basic dimensions as a guide line.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

don`t know what ripstop is !. 1"webbing is no probablem i have a big roll . never seen a drift sock . have herd of a pice of chain with a rope tied to it . that would be easey to make and store. have herd that it will keep your boat streight.
    i have a sewingmachine that will sew it .
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wind sock & chains

there is a short article about chains and wind socks in this issue of Crappie Magazine

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showth...ght=drift+sock

this is a few post on wend socksa dother drifting ideas . i troll into the wend and when i hange up or catch a fish i stop troling and that puts me back where i cought the fish or farther back and troll the same aera .
    Last edited by papasage; 10-28-2005 at 05:38 AM.
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I used to fish some pretty windy bays down in lower AL, and here's what I used: buy an el cheapo crab trap (the collapsible metal ring-and-string net type), and sew some material around the upper/lower rings...easy to stow and works great...

Bushrod :-)

Post Thanks / Like

A usable drift sock can easily be made out of a 5 gallon bucket. Just drill a few 1" holes in the bottom, then 3 - 1" holes evenly spaced out around the lip at the top of the bucket, tie in some rope (with the rope coming out the inside of the bucket) and you are in buisness. Very easily made, very cheap, and they work as good as any store bought drift sock. We use 2 of them, one on each end of the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Redtick
    A usable drift sock can easily be made out of a 5 gallon bucket. Just drill a few 1" holes in the bottom, then 3 - 1" holes evenly spaced out around the lip at the top of the bucket, tie in some rope (with the rope coming out the inside of the bucket) and you are in buisness. Very easily made, very cheap, and they work as good as any store bought drift sock. We use 2 of them, one on each end of the boat.
    That's what I use. A 5 gallon bucket. It works!
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Post Thanks / Like

Go to www.woodystaxidermy.com and type in drift sock under fishing. In search. There's a home made one that you can look at as well as directions on how to make it.

Post Thanks / Like

In case you had a hard time finding it. I used a landry bag from Wal-mart to make mine, the hard part was putting the wire in the opening. I didn't put in that message on Woody's, just had made one of my own

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?...ght=drift+sock
    Last edited by SteveJ; 10-28-2005 at 05:42 PM.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks everybody

Thanks to everyone. I have tried the buckets but really didn't get a s slow as I like. There are several that run on Ebay and I may copy one of them as best as I can. I'm heading to LOP tomorrow afternoon if the wife will give me half a day off from the Kitchen remodeling. Seeya, Don