Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: fuel stabilizer

Post Thanks / Like

Question fuel stabilizer

Hey guys new boat & motor, Yam.75 Hp four, guy come by today does alot of crappie fishing, and asked if I was using a fuel stabilizer ? told him no because my dealer told me if I was using my boat alot would not need it ?
    I go out maybe 1 or 2 times a week fishing , He told me just cost him $100 to get the water out of his and it was because of the gas he was using, said I needed to start using fuel stabilizer in my fuel,
    Do you guys use it in yours ? if so what kind is the best for my YAM. FOUR ?
    I know if I store it for awhile I need to use it but right now hope to be able to fish alot , also do you guys use any type of fuel/water separator filter?
    if so what kind is the best and easy to change the filters?
    THANKS
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 115 Yamaha 4 stroke...been running it for almost 4 years now without any problems. I do just like my Yamaha dealer told me...I mix Ring Free everytime I put in gas and I also use Stabil Marine stabilizer. Yes I do have a external water separator filter. The filter is easy to change ( change it every year). I have been running the 10 percent ethanol gasoline for a couple of years now and have not had any problems. I fish several times a week and I still do this...it was recommended by the dealer that I bought my boat and motor from.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HARLEYBOY View Post
    Hey guys new boat & motor, Yam.75 Hp four, guy come by today does alot of crappie fishing, and asked if I was using a fuel stabilizer ? told him no because my dealer told me if I was using my boat alot would not need it ?
    I go out maybe 1 or 2 times a week fishing , He told me just cost him $100 to get the water out of his and it was because of the gas he was using, said I needed to start using fuel stabilizer in my fuel,
    Do you guys use it in yours ? if so what kind is the best for my YAM. FOUR ?
    I know if I store it for awhile I need to use it but right now hope to be able to fish alot , also do you guys use any type of fuel/water separator filter?
    if so what kind is the best and easy to change the filters?
    THANKS
    Use Stabil Marine e10 AND a water seperator (Attwood from Wallyworld)

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are using your boat twice a week you don't need a stabalizer. I would install a water seperator tho. One rated at least 10 microns. Some have a drain in the bottom so you can drain the water out if needed.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

My dealer did not say anything about ring free, I have a 20 gal. tank how much do I use?

Post Thanks / Like

I use Stabil Marine all the time and increase it in the winter when I don't plan on fishing for a couple months. I also hear when they add the ethanol to your gas it can hurt your motor unless you use the Marine Stabil. I never used it before this year, but always used the old kind before they had the marine kind.

I try to put the regular kind of Stabil in all my gas engines to help if I don't use them for a while ( like tillers, weed eaters, etc.)

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fuel Stabilizer and too long of a post but...

Good question and you got some good answers! Here is something else to consider.

The shelf life for gasoline without ethanol is at least a year and probably two. The shelf life with ethanol is three or four months. Ethanol has an affinity to attract and absorb water. To my knowledge, there isn't a product that will prevent water absorption of ethanol. It is the water absorbing properties of E10 (10% ethanol) that makes ethanol gasoline difficult to manage. To illustrate the difference, regular (non-ethanol) gasoline can dissolve 150 ppm (part per million) water at 70° Fahrenheit. A 10% ethanol blend, at 70°, can dissolve up to 7,000 ppm. That is 50 times! Boats love water but boat engine do not. Boats tend to not have very tight fuel systems. Fuel vents are seldom closed and are a source for moisture.

Newer engines (less than 10 years old) are designed to tolerate at least 10% ethanol. Older engines are not. You could experience failed seals, plastic components and O rings from ethanol. Some things that will help is a water separator, keeping your fuel vents closed when possible, avoid fuel additives that are alcohol based (Evinrude 2+4 fuel conditioner is 95% alcohol!)(Sta-bil products do not contain any alcohol), use mid-grade gasoline instead of regular (water absorption can cause the loss of 3-4 points of octane), buy your fuel from a busy name-brand gas station, do you best to keep your fuel fresh, and become aware of the symptoms of bad gas. These symptoms include stalling, hesitation, excessive exhaust smoke and clogged filters and carburetors.

The obvious solution is to not buy ethanol fuel but that is easier said than done. First, it is hard to find fuel today without ethanol and second the States of Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina and Ohio do not require ethanol labeling on gas station pumps. We don’t know what we are getting.

Sorry for the long post but an interesting topic!
    "None of us is as smart as all of us!"

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Hey just checked my Alum. 165cs already has a fuel/water sep. on it, 10mil.
    remembered the dealer said something about it, so there it was , great ,

Post Thanks / Like

Default great post

Quote Originally Posted by Fish8MyBait View Post
    Good question and you got some good answers! Here is something else to consider.

The shelf life for gasoline without ethanol is at least a year and probably two. The shelf life with ethanol is three or four months. Ethanol has an affinity to attract and absorb water. To my knowledge, there isn't a product that will prevent water absorption of ethanol. It is the water absorbing properties of E10 (10% ethanol) that makes ethanol gasoline difficult to manage. To illustrate the difference, regular (non-ethanol) gasoline can dissolve 150 ppm (part per million) water at 70° Fahrenheit. A 10% ethanol blend, at 70°, can dissolve up to 7,000 ppm. That is 50 times! Boats love water but boat engine do not. Boats tend to not have very tight fuel systems. Fuel vents are seldom closed and are a source for moisture.

Newer engines (less than 10 years old) are designed to tolerate at least 10% ethanol. Older engines are not. You could experience failed seals, plastic components and O rings from ethanol. Some things that will help is a water separator, keeping your fuel vents closed when possible, avoid fuel additives that are alcohol based (Evinrude 2+4 fuel conditioner is 95% alcohol!)(Sta-bil products do not contain any alcohol), use mid-grade gasoline instead of regular (water absorption can cause the loss of 3-4 points of octane), buy your fuel from a busy name-brand gas station, do you best to keep your fuel fresh, and become aware of the symptoms of bad gas. These symptoms include stalling, hesitation, excessive exhaust smoke and clogged filters and carburetors.

The obvious solution is to not buy ethanol fuel but that is easier said than done. First, it is hard to find fuel today without ethanol and second the States of Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina and Ohio do not require ethanol labeling on gas station pumps. We don’t know what we are getting.

Sorry for the long post but an interesting topic!
    No I like long posts , and I liked this one Great ,good info.

Post Thanks / Like

Much has been discussed on this topic. Do a search and you will find a treasure trove of info.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast