Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bait caster for crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Default bait caster for crappie?

I am wondering if any of you use a bait caster other than trolling or spider riging crappie.i bought a bait caster years ago & could never use it w/out birds nests & never took it with me fishing. untill the last couple of days i have been practicing in the back yard & starting to like this type of reel & want to buy a better reel. if not for crappie ill still buy one for summer bass or catfish. any body want to talk me out of this feel free?
    any input would be great either way.

dgi

Post Thanks / Like

It's harder to throw light baits with a baitcaster. It can be done, but a spinning reel will do it better (and cheaper.)

Look at the bass pros, for example. They love their baitcasters, but they pick up a spinning rod if they want to throw finesse baits.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a baitcaster for vertical jigging especially when fishing standing timber. Since fish on timber are usually suspended and depth sensitive the baitcaster allows you to positively control the depth you're fishing very easily.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have several baitcasters....used to use them when fishing for bass and catfish. But now I use open face spinning reels for everything.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes funbun LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

it is all good info. just keep fishing. the more you fish the more you learn.you will finally get to be good enough to pick a lake and catch a limit.
    good luck to ya all and may GOD BLESS ya :rolleyes::D

Post Thanks / Like

I use baitcasters when fishing a Kentucky Rig. No casting involved, and I have them on good stout graphite rods for bass fishing. If you have to cast a light lure, spinning reels are the way to go.

Post Thanks / Like

give it a try and if you dont like it or it dont work try something else.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no tried baitcaster for crappie yet simply because like mentioned.....light lures are so much easier to throw on open face.

I use baitcaster nearly all the time for bass and cats though. I would say go ahead and get one for bassin if you want. I like them way better for bassin because of the accuracy.

azslabber is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I put one that I used to bass fish with on my 8' Crappie rod.Like everyone said the light say 1/8 oz. jig made fishing hard.I would'nt even want to try anything lighter.I traded the reel for a nice crappie rod to one of my bass fishing buddies,lol,.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

Since you are just starting to learn to use a baitcaster I wouldn't recommend it for trying to cast jig's or minnow and bobber rig's.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast