Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for a NEW fly fisherman.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Suggestions for a NEW fly fisherman.

Good Morning All- The BUG has bit me to get into fly fishing, and my main mode of access to different water is going to be a kayak!
    I'll share a few quick ' reasons why"--- doctor told me a year and a half ago I had diabetes and would learn to live with it--what the good doctor did not realize is that I did not want to hear that--so after a good diet and lifestyle change (no more Crisco!!) -- the diabetes is in check and I haven't taken any medicine for quite a while. It hasn't been easy, but I am WINNING the fight.
    With that, my new lifestyle involved working less and playing more (stress reduction)--hence comes the world of flyfishing.
    I'll be attending a tying workshop in Baton Rouge soon and meet some of the local guys and gals invovled in flyfishing.
    My first step (in my opinion) would be to set up with a decent fly rod / reel to start with and not develop bad habits from the beginning, here is where I need your help...one suggestion I have already is to get a St Croix or Orvis 8'6" 4 wt rod...
    All comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks-- Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StraightShooter View Post
    My first step (in my opinion) would be to set up with a decent fly rod / reel to start with and not develop bad habits from the beginning,

The best advice I can give to you is this: get some casting instruction from a good teacher. It will save you years of frustration. Talk to the people at the tying workshop and ask them to suggest a good teacher. I'm sure you could get a lesson then and there. At a minimum, buy a good casting DVD and practice.

As for rods, St. Croix and Orvis both make good ones. It's hard to go wrong with a combo (rod/reel/line) that costs at least $100. Don't go super-cheap with fly gear. You'll regret it. Some other good combos include:

Bass Pro Hobbs Creek
    Cabelas Three Forks
    Redington Crosswater
    Temple Forks (TFO) NXT

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Scott... I have a Scott fly rod - company out of Colorado - and I love it. Broke the tip section on hanging up on a branch (my fault) and had to send it in, cost me $35 to have the full section replaced. Thought that was a sweet deal!!

If you are fishing nothing but panfish, a 4wt would be good. I wouldn't go smaller if you are still new at it, may be more learning curve to get the hang of it any smaller. If you think you might go after bass, you may want to go up to a 5wt or 6wt IMO.

Again this is just me, but for panfish, the reel is just a line holder and you will land most fish by pulling line and not the reel so a good drag wont matter much, again bass would be a different story. Search up Fly Anglers Online. They have a forum there and lots of fly patterns to look thru as well. Let us know what you end up with. - AF

Post Thanks / Like

Straightshooter-I have flyfished for 40 years and I think I would start with a 7 weight flypole. You can use it on most any type fish big or small like crappie. Then I would go with a good reel that you can buy extra spools for. You should buy floating line, sink tip line and fast sinking line and have a spool for each one. Its good that you are going to attend fly tyeing classes. When you buy your kit to tie flys with make sure you get a good fly tying kit. Don't buy cheap stuff you will regret it. Buy good material for tying your flys. You'll need chest waders for wadding. Make sure your boots aren't rubber I guarantee rubber is slick on wet rocks. Then you will need a fishing vest to carrie your flys and extra spools. I would guess you will be spending around 800 dollars for good equipment. Just don't buy cheap stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

StraightShooter - I have a question for you. What kind of kayak are you using? Can you stand-up in it? I have been thinking of using a kayak myself.
    Sam in PA and FL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I have been thinking of using a kayak myself.

FAOL has it's own kayak board. You should be able to find some good info here:

Paddling - FAOL BB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StraightShooter View Post
    Good Morning All- The BUG has bit me to get into fly fishing, and my main mode of access to different water is going to be a kayak!
    I'll share a few quick ' reasons why"--- doctor told me a year and a half ago I had diabetes and would learn to live with it--what the good doctor did not realize is that I did not want to hear that--so after a good diet and lifestyle change (no more Crisco!!) -- the diabetes is in check and I haven't taken any medicine for quite a while. It hasn't been easy, but I am WINNING the fight.
    With that, my new lifestyle involved working less and playing more (stress reduction)--hence comes the world of flyfishing.
    I'll be attending a tying workshop in Baton Rouge soon and meet some of the local guys and gals invovled in flyfishing.
    My first step (in my opinion) would be to set up with a decent fly rod / reel to start with and not develop bad habits from the beginning, here is where I need your help...one suggestion I have already is to get a St Croix or Orvis 8'6" 4 wt rod...
    All comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks-- Scott
    I don't see how you can wrong with TFO fly rods. The price is right and the rods perfrom as well as those three times the price.

Also, for fly fishing, you can't beat Native Watercraft's Ultimate 14.5. Great fly fishing boat and you can stand up in it.
    Steve
    Southern Drawl Kayak Fishing
    Native Watercraft-endorsed guide
    gibbysfishingblog.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank You

Comrades-- thank you for all of your input, since the orginal post I have gotten involved with local organizations, lined up a trip in the Smoky Mountains, met an entomologist, and have not slept well at all (currently offshore on a drilling rig)...going home for three weeks off this coming Tuesday for three full weeks off though!!!
    Thanks once again for your valuable input--
    Scott

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm answering your post a little late, but I think you may like what I have to say. You live in Louisiana, one of the current hot spots for salt water fly fishing. While you're searching for rig #1, don't forget to ask the questions about what variations you might want to use the gear you're buying for Red's and Sea Trout. Clousers and decievers are a good starting point, Maybe crab and shrimp patterns. Nail a 10 lb Red on a 6 or 7 weight and we'll never hear from you again. You'll have that 1000 yd stare full time. Enjoy, I know you will. Let us know how it's coming along.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Straightshooter first off congrads on whipping the diabetes, I've been through the same thing. 5 years now and no medicine! Major lifestyle change, diet, and of course exercise. For my $.02 I think a 6wt would be a better starter, easier to learn with and you can always throw a smaller lighter fly with a flyrod but if you decide to go after something that needs a larger fly the lighter rod makes it much more difficult use with a heavy fly or top water popper. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast