Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lowrance vs humminbird

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lowrance vs humminbird

am in the mood,and got some dollars saved up so been thinking about a new depth finder/fish locator/mapping/gps kinda one.

now hear is the deal, HUMMINBIRD is comming out with new software to upgrade the HUMMINBIRD 797 in a few months.

I have a LOWRANCE HD5X and If I am reading correct it will up grade to side scan, down looking scan, am I wrong, does anyone know.

would I be better off to just wait long time and see how everybody does that gets one as soon as they come out,

so many question what is everyones opinion. well mostly the 797 owners, we may or may not get the updates. I talked to HUMMINBIRD and there may be a way for dial up users like me to get a mmsd or what ever those cards are called. to upload from. just thinking out loud.

Post Thanks / Like

I can only tell you what I am going to do and that is wait about 6 months after Lowrance releases the side scan/down scan and up grade to a 7 inch unit with both plus GPS for my console. Technology changes a lot in 6 months and all the bugs will have been worked out if there are any. I am neutral on Humminbird because I do not have one nor have I used one recently.

Post Thanks / Like

I am getting ready to buy a new unit and after talking to some reps for the Lowrance HDS with side and downward imaging I think it is what I will go with. Their system will be more powerful than HB and from the pics I have seen there is now guessing what it is you are looking at. From what I have seen if you have the HDS system you just buy the transducer and the box to plug it into and you are good to go and you can plug multiple units into it. I like the Lowrance brand so that is what I will go with. Here is a link to Lowrance that has some good video. StructureScan | Lowrance Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

I love my Lowrance 522c but Lowrance's customer service SUX big time! I don't know if I will ever buy another because of that. I used to have HB's on my boat. Their customer service was exceptional. Every time I called I got to speak with a tech. With Lowrance, I have waited for weeks without hearing back from them. I realize that I am only one person. Others may have had much better experiences than I.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

Bob like you I have delt with HUMMINBIRD for long time,and eaven got personal emails from some of the reps. and good to excellent help on the phone, only once have I not got a sutable response from them and that was on the electrical int. on 777 depth finder.and they never sent me the kit to help fix it. so I sold the unit to a wanna be crappie fisherman, I wish HUMMINBIRD would buy lowrance them my problem would be solved. man I like the way lowrance graf works, shows up everything, in finite detale. guess I will do like pole bender and wait, maby have a dab more cash saved up and can get a 36in screen, bad eyes you know, thanks all

Post Thanks / Like

Beagle- I have the 797 and like it.......except for the small screen. Upgrade will not fix that problem. I think I am going to wait and see what Humminbird comes up with in the next few months and upgrade to a larger unit. When spending that kinda money.....I am going to want good service to back up product and I know Humminbird will provide that. Nothing against Lowrance.....never owned one.....I just feel like Humminbird deserves my business from past dealings.
    Crappie.......its whats for dinner!!

Post Thanks / Like

Im havin the same dilema as you guys. Im saving up to put a new locator on bow and console. I I either want a 788 on the bow and a 997 on console or hds5 and hds8. The way things r lookin im probably going to go with humminbird. The lowrance its going to be alot more expensive. The units are higher plus another 600 to get the side scan module. But the pics of the lowrance screen look amazing. Im just going to add up all the prices and go to bass pro and play with them before i decide. One bonus on the lowrance you can hook both locators up to the side scan module.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear the comments on this subject; I've also been wanting to upgrade and the more I study it the more undecided I get! I have lowrance now and have had good luck "but no problems requiring help". I have a friend with the HB side imaging and it is impressive but the pics I've seen from the lowrance units are even more impressive. Still waiting; will be watching this thread for more info!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 522 on our boat & gona keep them a while. There is another CDC member that bought the new hd7 this year & hes on his 4th one. Various problems & no satisfaction from cust ser. I wouldnt buy anything that comes out new for at least 1 yr so the mfg can bet the bugs worked out. I do want somekind of side imaging locator but gona wait until the the new units get the bugs worked out. I see the same issues with new engines that I work on. 1st year sucks after that it gets better.

Post Thanks / Like

Beagle, I love my Humminbird. I have a 787c2i in the bow and a 997 at the helm. I see you noted that there is an upgrade for the 797 coming out soon. Though this is true, it will NOT be the long awaited Down Imaging (Unofficial Humminbird Side Image Forums www.sideimageforums.com :: View topic - New Humminbird DownImaging Sonar!) as the 797 does not have the horsepower behind it to process the math to create the images. The official release states "... A free software upgrade to add Down Imaging will be available in January to current owners of Humminbird models with Side Imaging (except 797c2 SI)..."

Besides this drawback, the unit will still function as described now and Humminbird will continue to support and upgrade the unit at no cost to you.
    Cameron Denison - St. Charles, MO
    Mississippi River Pool 26 | Mark Twain Lake
    White/Black Skeeter and I talk to everyone.
    Thump, Set the Hook!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast