Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Slabs?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Slabs?

I am new to panfishing for the most part, however I have fished for bass, white perch, and yellow perch, and crappie alots of times in the past. But have never heard of the term slabs, except on this board. What is everyone refering to when they say slab i understand that it is a fish but what kind?
    Early to bed, early to rise, fish all day, make up lies.
    If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
    :cool:

Post Thanks / Like

a "slab" is referring to a big crappie. it probably depends where you live as to how big a crappie must be before it is a "slab". i consider anything over 10 inches to be a slab
    "Give me crappie, or give me death"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Love that tag line

Well at KY lake a slab is a big 2lb crappie. Well that is what I think anyway. Some will say that a 1lb crappie is a slab. Slab of meat is what they are referring too.

It's been almost a year since I caught a big crappie. I have held two 14 inch one pound crappie this summer that were caught by someone else and given to me. I guess those could have been called slabs also.

I guess there are degrees of slabs. Big slabs and small slabs lol

Quote Originally Posted by PerchSlayer
    I am new to panfishing for the most part, however I have fished for bass, white perch, and yellow perch, and crappie alots of times in the past. But have never heard of the term slabs, except on this board. What is everyone refering to when they say slab i understand that it is a fish but what kind?
    Regards,

Moose1am

slab_seeker Guest

Default Be careful.

The last time someone started about what was a slab we had crappie coming out of Texas than was 30 inches long. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Perchslayer,

In Eastern N.C. and Eastern Virginia, most folks consider a slab to be a fish a little over 12 inches or about a pound or higher. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slab_seeker
    The last time someone started about what was a slab we had crappie coming out of Texas than was 30 inches long. LOL.
    Here's a link to a post that ask about slabs. http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=135
    :D Give a man a crappie you feed him for a day...teach a man to fish for crappie and get rid of him for the weekend!!!

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Here in n/w pa., a slab is any crappie over 10"s. But this spring if they weren't 12"s we were throwing them back as this was the best year for bigger fish on my home lake that we've ever had.