Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Unusual Line Twist Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Unusual Line Twist Question

Anyone think that a rods guides can cause line twist? I ask because i've changed spools and then reels on an old rod that i like to use to troll for saugeye and it kinks something awful. I have six of these rods, all the same and all have the same reels, and this rod is the only one i have trouble with. Anyway, It's hitting the trash can!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Q-tip

Hey Friend
    You might want to check the eyes with a Q-tip. One time I found a small nick in the ceramic. It was fraying the line. I sealed the whole eye with tough-as-nails and its self leveling qualities works great. But the most likely cause of line twist is the bait / weight twirling. It becomes more obvious with trolling than casting. my2cents

Post Thanks / Like

I usually attribute line twist to two things: the bait/lure spinning in the water, and the action of reeling it in. I don't clearly understand how it could be caused by the rod, but it's not out of the question.

For us, line twist is a constant battle. Spinning reels twist the line with every turn of the bail. To combat it, we do two things. First, I made a reverse line spinner by bending up an old bass buzz bait. When viewed down the shaft, the buzz bait blade spins clockwise, but I figured out that it needed to spin the other way to untwist my line, so I just bent the blades in the other direction. And then I cut off the hook/weight/head part. On the way back to the ramp, I just clip this gizmo on the line, cast out, and reel in once. It seems to untwist the line satisfactorily.

Second, on the rods that I use for casting, I experimented with some new line. My wife picked up a spool of Fireline. I'm not a high-tech guy, but I gotta admit that this line is better than regular mono. I like the high visibility, it seems to float on the water better than mono, it has much greater sensitivity, and it seems to be much less susceptible to line twist, tangles, and bird nests. Just my opinion!

Post Thanks / Like

Try while trolling putting a snap swivel on bottom of line to connect too you offering. When I'm trolling for trout and other spiecies I always use a snap swivel it never twists my line. 50+yrs fishing. If you have frayed line it woud be either a bad eye on your pole or your reel. Always a snap swivel with lures your trolling with. This is the way I have been doing all my life. Hope this helps.