Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Smithville 10/24

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smithville 10/24

The day started out great. It was sunny, warmer that the previous week, and the wind was light. I pulled into the W Bridge boat launch and only found two other boats put in. I got out of the car, pulled my gear out, and was ready to put in when the Water Patrol pulling up to me- Oh No! I was thinking the worst, but was pleasantly surprised. I spent the first 45 minutes talking to one of the nicest guys. We swapped fishing stories, he told me about some of his fishing trips up north, and gave me a boat inspection - I passed. One tip for anyone with a boat over 15'; you need to have a throwable life jacket onboard.

Anyway, on to the report...

I started out the day fishing the large brush pile southeast of the W Bridge (Area 1). This spot's been very good for me in the past, but today nada! I was only catching dinks (all blacks).

I was watching the bridge to see how long people hung around. It really didn't take long for everyone to give up and move on.

**Special Note** Smithville is not putting up the large Honker's Wildlife sign anymore that closes the north part of the lake off. The officer I talked to in the morning said they put out new buoys marked, “Boats Keep Out”. I'm glad he told me because I was thinking about heading up north if I didn't see the big sign. Just a note to all, north of W Bridge is closed till Jan 31.

My second spot was the brush pile next to the golf course (Area 2). This was the best spot of the day. I caught one 12" and 4, 9-11" fish. But to get those fish, I had to catch a bunch of dinks.

I remembered the last time I was at this spot I noticed schools of fish on the drop off next to the piles. I moved my boat over the drop off, spotted the fishing again, and I was able to land a couple more larger fish. I'm going to go over my lake map and find more drop offs to see if this is a pattern, or if this was just dumb luck.

Next I hit the brush piles on the north side of the Camp Branch rip raps (Area 3). Surprisingly these spots only held dinks, lots of dinks. People fishing the other brush piles and the bridge were only catching small fish. I didn't get one keeper from this spot.

My last spot of the day was the tree line by the power lines north of the Camp Branch bridge (Area 4). Like all of the other spots of the day, only dinks here too.

Well, there's always next time to find the big fish. Looking forward to hearing how the rest of you guys are doing. Post a report.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by APKape; 10-27-2009 at 11:45 AM.
    Alex (KC Area, Smithville Lake)

Post Thanks / Like

Fished Sunday morning at the marina and caught dinks till we got tired. Had a good time though
    Scott Platte City Missouri

Post Thanks / Like

Nice detailed report . I look forward to fishing Smithville when I make the big move in December .

Post Thanks / Like

greatt post as usual-looks like they pulled the plug at the dam!

USGS Home
    Contact USGS
    Search USGS National Water Information System: Web Interface

USGS Water Resources Data Category:
    Home Real-time Site Information Surface Water Ground Water Water Quality Mapper Geographic Area:
    United StatesAlabama Alaska American Samoa Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware Dist. of Columbia Florida Georgia Guam Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Northern Mariana Islands Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Puerto Rico Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virgin Islands Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming

News New Mapper and Experimental Real-Time Web Service - updated August 2009
    USGS 06821150 Little Platte River at Smithville, MO
    PROVISIONAL DATA SUBJECT TO REVISION
    Available data for this site SUMMARY OF ALL AVAILABLE DATA Site map Time-series: Real-time data Time-series: Daily data Time-series: Daily statistics Time-series: Monthly statistics Time-series: Annual statistics Surface-water: Peak streamflow Surface-water: Field measurements Water-Quality: Field/Lab samples Offsite: USGS Instantaneous-data archive Offsite: USGS Annual water-data report(s) Offsite: EPA Surf your watershed

Station operated in cooperation with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers - Kansas City District.

National Weather Service River Forecast

Available Parameters
    All 2 Available Parameters for this site
    00065 Gage height
    00060 Discharge
    Output format
    Graph
    Graph w/ stats
    Graph w/o stats
    Table
    Tab-separated
    Days

(1-60)

Summary of all available data for this site

Gage height, feet
    Most recent instantaneous value: 18.33 10-27-2009 05:30

Create presentation-quality graph Parameter 00065; DD 02

Discharge, cubic feet per second
    Most recent instantaneous value: 857 10-27-2009 05:30

Create presentation-quality graph Parameter 00060; DD 04

Daily discharge statistics, in cfs, for Oct 27 based on 32 years of record more Min
    (1977) 20th
    percen-
    tile Median 80th
    percen-
    tile Mean Most Recent
    Instantaneous
    Value Max
    (1986)
    1.4 8.7 12 43 154 857 1810

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Questions about sites/data? Top
    Feedback on this web site Explanation of terms
    Automated retrievals Subscribe for system changes
    News
    Accessibility FOIA Privacy Policies and Notices

U.S. Department of the Interior | U.S. Geological Survey
    Title: USGS Real-Time Water Data for the Nation
    URL: http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?

Page Contact Information: Missouri NWISWeb Maintainer
    Page Last Modified: 2009-10-27 07:11:42 EDT
    2.82 2.36 va03

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks For The Report,,,,that Looks Like One Of The Structure Graphic Maps,,,those Are Good Maps,,,,
    IT'S 5--O-CLOCK SOMEWHERE,,,MIKE-p

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Nice report Alex. Dave
    May all your live wells be full.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Cook is right. They are letting out a lot of water; 800 cubic feet per second. Anyone know if this an annual thing or is there something else?
    Alex (KC Area, Smithville Lake)

Post Thanks / Like

just getting back to normal pool-lotta rain up here last week

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by apkape View Post
    Cook is right. They are letting out a lot of water; 800 cubic feet per second. Anyone know if this an annual thing or is there something else?
    They always draw the lake down every year...about this time, but we'll also had lots of rain...especially up north.

Birddogs54
    2005 Ranger 519 Yamaha 200