Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Batteries on Concrete - Myth?

TN River: Clifton, Perryville, occasionally northward
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Batteries on Concrete - Myth?

Ok, can you guys settle this for me. I have heard for years that if you store a battery on concrete, it will drain the battery and ruin it. I know I read somewhere a while back that this was a myth, but I keep hearing this and I just removed the batteries from my pontoon for the winter. The most convenient place for me to store them would be my garage floor......concrete, of course. Sorry if this has been discussed and I missed it.
    BSRRofl

Post Thanks / Like

Go ahead with the experiment then give a report.Just kidding I sat my log splitter battery on the concrete and it killed it hammer dead in 2 days ande like to have never got it to take a charge.
    living life to its fullest, This is not a dressed rehearsal.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Myth

I use to haul batteries from there factories, and they told me the concrete thing is a myth. They have a plastic case, and they for no current can be drawn though the plastic case.

crappie cowboy

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It is a myth. Actually it was true many, many years ago but modern day batteries can be sat anywhere.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

100% myth! My mechanic that works for me at the golf course turned me on to the myth. Everytime we have battery issue I would take out to charge set on table crate etc... he would kill over laughing then take it off set on the concrete and say watch it kid. Sure enough after countless times of him doing it, I finally gave in and agree that its a myth.
    Its Foolish and wrong to morn the men who died, instead we should thank God that such men lived.
    General George S. Patton Jr

Post Thanks / Like

Had an older battery that I stored on concrete just to check the myth. Charged OK and held a charge as well as ones on my boat.

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What more than likely kills batteries is the crud that builds across the top on the battery. That crud can make a connection from post to post causing slow drain on battery. It doesn't have to be much of a build up. Just a light coating of dust, moisture, and a little acid residue. To check it out, use a volt meter by putting one probe on one post and put the other probe on the battery top. Set meter to low voltage. Most times you'll get some kind of reading.

"gene"

"G" Gone but not forgotten!!

TN River: Clifton, Perryville, occasionally northward
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! Batteries are sitting on the floor.....got one charged already.
    BSRRofl

Post Thanks / Like

"Our greatest happiness does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of a good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits." - Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

Back in the old days setting the battery on the concrete floor, ground, would kill the battery. With todays modern construction/materials they are insulated well enough that the concrete, ground has no effect. Not a myth, an old fact that changed with time.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast