Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Can't fish long enough Help please

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can't fish long enough Help please

Here is the story. Saturday the wind was bad real bad so i used Level 3, 4, 5 on my trolling motor. I was only able to fish 2.5 to 3 hours before my fish finder said low voltage. Not to long after that i was loosing juice fast. I went and bought a brand new deep cycle battery. So i am pumped charged it over night full charge this morning. The wind was not as bad today I was able to use level 1,2,3 and the occasional 4,5. I was only able to fish 5 hours before i got the low voltage. I am so confused. help a buddy out.
    Edit/Delete Message

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

What size deep cycle battery did you buy? I use a 125 amp deep cycle battery with my 40 lb. trolling motor on my 18 and a half foot bass boat and I can fish all day long. I also have a fishfinder and a electric anchor connected to this battery....no problems.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

azslabber is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My Minn Kota 55 Edge will only run my 17' deep V for about 5.5 hours on the battery.1,2,3 will last all day.but 4,5 sucks out the juice.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

I parallel 2 batteries onwindy days(got 3..1 for starting) go ahead and get another batt. and 2 heavy cables
    Stay Humble .. Even on a Crappie Day !!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have an older trolling motor without the newer circuitry you are getting what you will get. Jig'r hit the nail on the head. Buy another identical battery and tie them parallel and you will never again run out of juice. Worked excellent for me with my previous boat. Might be a few bucks you didn't want to spend but it will solve the problem.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

If the battery you got was a new battery than you need to charge it for a least a full 24 hours or more before using it the first time. It may have said it was a full charge but that was probably on the low side of full charge. Charge it for at least a full 24 hours before you use it again. It also depends on the size of battery that you bought. Maybe that is all the hours you can get out of it. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Check all your connections for signs of corrosion. I can run my trolling motor on all settings all day on my 14' boat with a series 31 battery. By all day, I mean 6-8 hours.
    Quit complaining about the color, just pull up your skirt and fish! -- snagged

Post Thanks / Like

If i am going to hook in parallel do i need heavy guage wire going from battery 1 to battery 2?

poppop is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Just one of the 6 to 8 ga lawn mower battery cables from Wal-mart..with terminals on both ends is all I used bigscanbe...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigascanbe View Post
    If i am going to hook in parallel do i need heavy guage wire going from battery 1 to battery 2?
    They have those cables that fit right on the wingnuts on your battery
    red to red/black to back = 12 volts
    red to black/red to black = 24 volts
    Deep Cycle Battery FAQ

2018 Tracker Super Guide 40hp 4 Stroke
    Garmin Striker 7sv
    Minn Kota Powerdrive with iPilot
    Marine Raider Rod Holders Modified for Versatrack