Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me out!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help me out!

Here is the story... I have an aluminum jon boat. I have a 12V trolling motor. Seems as if i can't fish unless it is perfect (zero wind). My trolling motor will give out because I am fighting the wind so much. Yes I could anchor but i don't want to. I bought a new trolling motor. Now I have 2! How the heck do i hook them up to give me longer trolling time? Do i need a fuse box and if so what king where do I get one. I also have my fish finder hooked to this. Help me out if you know this situation.

Thanks

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The only way to get more trolling time is to add another battery. 2 trolling motors will give you more power but less trolling time.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

How do you hook them up..

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a 12 volt trolling motor it has to stay hooked up to 12 volts. If this is the case...Hook the red wire to both positive posts and black wire to both negative posts. Also load test your batteries to make sure they are fully charged.
    Keep the lid on it !

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Or...get 2 batts and hook them in parallel. Then just hook the troller to one of the batteries and it'll pull juice from both batts simontainiously (sp?!?). Will have twice the banks of power...thus atleast twice the trolling time.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

poppop is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

On my 18 ft pontoon boat I had a hard problem with the wind also. I was using two batteries on didn't have a problem running the batteries down. My boat had the original 37 lb trolling motor on it, it was just to little. I upgraded to a Minn-Kota co-pilot 24v 69 pound (or close) and it made all the difference in the world. So, like the other guys said, two batteries and if that don't work, you might need to get a more powerful trolling motor.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you just need a bigger battery. I have a 125 amp deep cycle battery on my 18 and a half foot bass boat and it will run the trolling motor all day with just one battery.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-3 Fisherman View Post
    Maybe you just need a bigger battery. I have a 125 amp deep cycle battery on my 18 and a half foot bass boat and it will run the trolling motor all day with just one battery.
    I AGREE ,IT SOUND'S LIKE YOU HAVE A BAD BATTERY,YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO TROLL ABOUT ALL DAY
    The fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, bad battery. I can fish all day and then most of another without running out of juice. Always buy the biggest battery you can fit in the boat .
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you add another battery, here is how to hook them up.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast