Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: P-line CX or Trilene XL ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default P-line CX or Trilene XL ?

I'm looking for an easy casting mono that will still hold up well in some what rocky river and not be to stiff. I narrowed it down to these two, P-line CX Premium and Trilene XL. Use 8 # test for white bass and smallmouth. Any opinions ? -Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

everyone has different opoions, your best bet since mono line is fairly cheap buy and try it.

Post Thanks / Like

P-Line CX is a lot tougher than Trilene XL just my 02 cents worth, XL will probably cast better. I have tried a lot of them and anymore don't think that there is such a thing as a perfect all around line, but I'll keep looking and trying.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

For mono.....I really like the Tourney Tough that BPS has.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I bought some XL and I think its junk, it twists like crazy I guess due to line memory? Any way I took all of my original off and re-spooled with the same stuff after just one fishing trip, still terrible results. I have read great reviews on it, but I did not like it at all.
    nothing beats time on the water

Post Thanks / Like

Default Xl

Been using Trilene XL in 4 to 8 lb. for years and years. Casts great,
    holds a knot well. Memory? All mono has memory....deal with it.
    Crappiekiller3

Sittin here wishin I was out fishin!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wish4fish View Post
    I bought some XL and I think its junk, it twists like crazy I guess due to line memory? Any way I took all of my original off and re-spooled with the same stuff after just one fishing trip, still terrible results. I have read great reviews on it, but I did not like it at all.
    Could it be that you spooled it on your reel backwards? It does make a difference which way you spool it on your reel, and if you turn the handle to close the bail or do you close it by hand. These may sound funny but they do make a difference on line twist. They can be less of a problem if you pay attention to the small details while spooling your line on your reels. A little time spent on the small details can really save a lot of headaches when the fish are biting and you are trying to straigthen your line out. Another problem is to not over fill your spool. Keep it at least 1/8th of an inch from the lip of the spool. You may think it will allow you to cast further with the more line on your spool but will only add to more line coming off your spool in clumps. We all have been there with line problems but most of the time it is the little things that can be corrected with proper attention to details. When I put new line on the spool I use a wet cloth or spit between my fingers and run the dry line thru it to remove the chaulk off of the line. This will help let the line lay tighter on the spool and helps with the loose line on the spool to start with. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks EB I didn't know about keeping it 1/8 inch away, or to wet it down. I originally thought I spooled it wrong, that is why I redid the whole thing but I was still having problems. Possibly to much line? Maybe. I have a lot to learn.
    nothing beats time on the water

Post Thanks / Like

These are quite different lines.

8 CX Premium has a diameter of .0091"; the spool I have has an average break strength a little over 9 lbs. It has a fluorocarbon coating to resist abrasion, but is considerably limper than pure fluorocarbon lines.

8 XL has a diameter of .0103" and breaks at about 10.6 lbs. It is engineered for limpness, not abrasion resistance; however, its additional thickness vs. 8 CX Premium provides some buffer against shallow nicks.

The CX will cast farther and get down through current more easily. I'd try that first, unless you expect to catch smallies over 4 lbs.

Post Thanks / Like

XL is a nylon line. Really hasn't changed in 20 yrs. Pline is one of the older Copolymer lines and is far batter than XL, but there are lines out there that are much better than both of those. Try McCoy, Vicious, or Triple Fish. They are all Copolys that are a step above Pline. Even better than those three are Gamma and Sufix Promix. Of these 2 Gamma is better over all, but only just barely, and Sufix is WAY cheaper especially in 1/4 lb spools.

Sufix Promix Fishing Line - J&M Hunting Supplies & Marine
    Good things come to those who bait.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast