Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Preserving plastic lures?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Preserving plastic lures?

I've heard applying a drop of vegetable oil works, and I've experimented with that. Sure does make the lures slick and shiny, but it dries very fast and they tend to stick together after the oil dries.

Does anyone have any favorite long-term recipes for preserving plastic lures?
    Regards,
    Rowland

Post Thanks / Like

Default Heard about mineral oil

A buddy uses mineral oil and says it does great, but I'm leary of what it does to them (like weakening the rubber or plastic). He said it doesn't dry out like the baby oil. I just try to use mine up and get new ones before they get sticky! :D Not much help, but if nothing else, maybe it'll give you an idea. I just wouldn't douse(is this the right spelling? ) everyone of them without trying them seperately to see what happens.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Look at Lure-Craft Plastics - "worm oil"

http://www.lurecraft.com/catalog.htm (look under "additives" in the choice column to the left, on this page)

You can get a quart sized container for $12.50 (+ s/h) ... that should last quite a while.

There's also "cod liver oil" and "fish oil capsules", "Worm Oil/scent" (from various different mfg's), and other oil based scents (if you want added scent) ... but most are much more expensive than the Lurecraft oil. There is no "scent" in Lurecraft oil ... it's intended to just keep the plastic from sticking together, and make it slick/slimy (for a more "realistic feel" to the fish :rolleyes: ). ............... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Garlic scented spray cooking oil (Pam)
    Last words of a dying redneck... "Hold my beer and................................. watch this..."

Post Thanks / Like

oil of anise is what we used at one time. It smells much like Licorice (not totally sure of this spelling).

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cod liver oil

Does cod liver oil also act as an attractant or does it just act as a rubber and plastic preservative? Thanks.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns