Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: h&r ultra slug hunter 12ga

Post Thanks / Like

Default h&r ultra slug hunter 12ga

do any of u guys have one of these.and if so how do u like it.how far will it shoot accurately

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure about posting links to other forums on here, so search greybeards outdoors forum and there is a whole section for H&R shotguns and rifles. But pretty much seems like 20 ga is plenty and accurate to 150 yards. If I were in the market it would be between that and a CVA Optima Elite. Both allow changable barrels like the Encore at a reasonable price. CVA uses Bergera barrels so it is kinda a toss up. Unless you can afford the Encore.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey mudbug I dont have one but have heard good reveiws on them. JMO I would go with a 20 ga them dang 12 ga slug are no fun to shoot. I sold my 12 ga slug gun this year and bought a 20 ga. It doesnt have near the recoil and is by far more accurate.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2. oldest son has a 12ga, youngest has 20. Both are very accurate. They both have a 1 lb weight in the stock, so neither kick that bad. I wouldn't be afraid to shoot out to 125 with either, if you use good slugs and a good rest.

Post Thanks / Like

WELL GUY SAYS HE CANT ORDER THE ULTRA LIGHT SLUG HUNTER.HE CALLED 6 DISTRIBUTORS AND NO ONE HAD IT.so i guess i will ask for the slug hunter or the ultra slug hunter deluxe.hope i can track one down.read about them on another site and people were saying it was in the top 3 of all slug guns.shoots out to 150 to 180 yards accurately.so i guess i will keep trying to find one

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Ultra-Slug in 12 ga. Its a very heavy but very accurate with Sabot loads. It does have some kick to it but due to the weight of the heavy barrel it is not rude or obnoxious. I have mounted a BSA red dot sight on mine due to the fact that I do a lot of Hog hunting with it. Its very quick on target and great in low light conditions!

Greybeards Outdoors does have a rather extensive H&R/NEF section on thier forum board. Just dont spend too much time there or your going to end up with several of these handy little guns. I know I did!

Post Thanks / Like

simple answer it is a very accurate gun. In my world it is the most accurate. It is also VERY VERY VERY heavy. It will get to ya. Unless you are useing a 4 wheeler to move around. simple rule is the heavyer the gun to lighter the kick.
    Dicks sporting goods had them on sale for 279 this week.

Post Thanks / Like

got a h&r ordered today its a ultra slug hunter classic with heavy barrel 12 ga with monte carlo stock.as soon as i get it and set it up i will post some pics of it and groups to 100 yards

Post Thanks / Like

Default I had one! I think I can save you some time & MONEY!

Sold it about 8 years ago. Been kicking my big arrear ever since.

I had mind for about 5 years. At the time I had permission to hunt 5000 acre "bow/shotgun/ blackpowder only" plant site loaded with big bucks. My #1passion was bow hunting but they started clearcutting alot which brought back memories of my love of hunting clearcuts, shooting long range with my rifle around home. Not knowing much about blackpowder, except it seemed to involve alot of daily gun care, I started checking into slug guns. I first bought a Mossberg ultraslug and could not get it to group 3 shots in a 5" circle at 50 yds. off sand bags. It went back to WalMart fast.

I bought the H&R Ultra Slug, mounted a 3X9X40 WA Tasco with Weaver Rings on the Weaver base that came on the gun. Now, bare in mind this was in the 1996-97 year range. The first year after shooting every sabot that was made (Federal, Winchester and Remington) and sending about $400 worth of them down the range I settled on the Rem. Copper Solid's over the Federals. Only because the Federal's were hitting the target @ 125yds. tail low, cutting a figure 8 hole in the paper. The Rem.'s were cutting a perfect round hole @ 150yds.

Problem was that both were only grouping a 3 shot group in the 3-1/2 -4" range @ 50 yds. I tried everything from remounting the scope, swearing, ETC. to starting with a perfectly clean bore and then taking a single dedicated cleaning brush and dry brushing the barrel after EACH shot as recommended by a friend. BINGO, the Remingtons went down to a 2-1/2" group that I lived with for that year since it was already the middle of the season before I figured this much out.

Still not satisfied, I could only reason that my scope might be slipping inside the rings with the somewhat heavy recoil. In the offseason, I found a set of Redfield rings made to fit Weaver bases. I installed them and could not believe the difference. The Rem.'s were grouping 1" or less at 50 yds.

With this gun zeroed 3" high at 50 yds. I could hit a 3" dot at 150 yds every shot off the bags by aiming with the scope turned to 9X and using the point of the thick duplex line where it narrow's down before going on up to the cross that you normally use. With a range finder I was confident of & did kill deer out to 200 yds. It was just like bow hunting, know your range and know where to hold at that range.

I've since quit chasing deer as much and haven't kept up with current loads and improvements made with the slugs, but I am confident that if you'll remember to dry brush your barrel each shot to knock those flakes of shotgun powder residue out of the barrel left over from the previous shot, you may be able to possibly reach even further than you ever dreamed.

Hope that I may have helped in some way. Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Take a lesson or two from an old phart!

I hunt NJ, Delaware, and Ohio every year and in my life have taken 29 deer with slugs and probably another dozen or so with buckshot. I have owned a Remington 11-87 with a cantilevered rifled barrel, a Mossberg 500 with a rifled barrel and rifle sights, an Ithaca Deerslayer III, a Tar-Hunt RSG, and an H&R Ultra Slug - all in 12 ga. and I have learned quite a bit about slugs and slug guns. Every slug gun I have owned was tested with every different slug and length slug I could lay my hands on. I always check accuracy from a sandbagged bench rest to minimize the amount of error attributable to me. Over the years, I could probably have spent another $2,400.00 on another Tar-Hunt with the money I've spent buying slugs to test and sight-in my slug guns.

Here's what I've learned:

First, if your farthest shot will be 50 yds or less, any slug gun will do fine. It is when you begin stretching it out that fine accuracy makes a difference.
    Second, money spent to either sight you slug gun in or to determine it's favorite slug is money wisely spent because two identical guns may prefer completely different slugs and/or lengths of slugs.
    Third, investing in a good recoil pad (like LimbSaver) is something you will thank yourself for after one visit to the range firing 3" magnum slugs.
    Fourth, buy the best scope you can afford for your slug gun if you are going to be shooting over 50 yds - this is not the place to cheap-out.
    Fifth, get yourself a good rangefinder if you plan on doing any shooting beyond 50 yds. you will be amazed just how far off your range estimating abilities are . . . I sure was.

I have two friends who shoot H&R Ultra Slug guns. All three of our guns prefer different slugs and all three guns will shoot 3.5" three-shot groups at 150 yds with the preferred slug. My gun prefers 3" Winchester Partitioned Gold sabots, a friend's Ultra Slug prefers 3" Federal Hydra Shok Sabots, and the other friend's Ulra Slug prefers 3" Remington Accutips. These Ultra Slug guns are real shooters but you have to find out which slug and slug length each gun prefers. Don't get me wrong, my Tar-Hunt RSG would shoot just as good but where I spent $2,400.00 for the Tar-Hunt, I spent $220.00 for the H&R. I've since sold my Tar-Hunt and put the money I got for it into other things, including a good range finder and a better scope for my Ultra Slug.

Good luck with your search for the right slug gun for you. For me, it is the H&R Ultra Slug. I consider it the most undervalued slug gun on the market. One last thing . . . don't get hung-up on multiple shot capability. Every deer I have ever shot at was either down or gone after the first shot! You will learn that accuracy is worth a heck of a lot more than multi-shot capability. I learned it the hard way so take a lesson from my early mistakes. Put the slug where it counts the first time - every time. You won't be sorry!
    Last edited by BearSnot; 01-09-2011 at 04:35 PM.