Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Filet Knive What's Best

Post Thanks / Like

Default Filet Knive What's Best

I've Always Used A Regular Filet Knife That I've Had Forever Now I'm Look Ing To Buy A Electric One . Battery Or Electric And What Brand Is Really Good ?? Comments Please

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rocket rich View Post
    I've Always Used A Regular Filet Knife That I've Had Forever Now I'm Look Ing To Buy A Electric One . Battery Or Electric And What Brand Is Really Good ?? Comments Please
    Been through a few, and I like the electric mister twister the best.
    :rolleyes:

monkscrappie is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Electric knife

I use and sell the Mister Twister. Great knife, no problems. Spare or replaceable blades are available.

Monk Monk's Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

I presently use an American Angler, but I know a lot of people use the Mister Twister to filet with. I have one, but have never used it. Guess I need to pull it out of the closet and give it a whirl.

Gman
    We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

Post Thanks / Like

Go to wal-mart and get a blackndecker electric turkey knife. The blades take some getting used to but it will flat smoke through cleaning crappie. Plus they're only like ten dollars. Do not get the rapala brand electric knife.

Post Thanks / Like

American angler, with the thin low friction blades. Whatever you get, don't get a cordless re-chargeable one. You can't clean but just a few fish before they lose charge.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been using a Rapala electric fillet knife for four years now with no complaints.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I also have American Angler electric fillet knife and it works great.

The main thing to consider is your power source. Where do you plan on filleting the fish and what power is available? Some electric knives use 12v dc, others 120 volt ac. More expensive units might even have dual source. If you get a 12v dc, where can you get power, accessory outlet or battery clips? If you get 12v do you have an outlet near where you fillet fish. Do you go camping? If so, what power source is available? What about an annual fishing trip? Rechargeable isn't a bad option either.

My blade is 12v dc, accessory plug. Great for filleting by the boat, or truck tailgate. Some newer trucks have an accessory outlet in the bed. Although it wont work in a fillet house at the lake unless I drag a battery and adapter with me.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I use the American Angler with the thin blade and love it. I've got 2: one runs off 12v dc and one is ac. I've had them for years and they keep on going.

I had a Mister Twister years ago, and the plastic gears eventually stripped out. I've been with 2 different saltwater guides who used Mister Twisters and had the gears strip out while they were cleaning fish. Both of them commented that that was a common occurence. I have tried my American Angler on redfish and speckled trout with no problem, but admittedly not on more than 50 or so of them, with no problems. I've also fileted several bass and walleye.

For whatever it's worth, I like them, but you might want to look at the various makes and models of electric filet knives on Cabela's and read the reviews there also.

Post Thanks / Like

For panfish I want an ac knife with short blades. Now that American Angler has brought back the 5 1/2" blades that's the best I have found. The Ultra Pro is a good knife. Cuts with a smooth, fast short stroke and is comfortable in the hand. For long cleaning sessions I alternate 2 knives so they don't overheat. This year I filleted 8,485 crappie for clients, most with an Ultra Pro and some with a Rapala. The Rapala cuts with a slower,vibrating action and gets hotter quicker in my experience.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast