Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: painting jig heads

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default painting jig heads

O.K. Let me in on the secret. How the h*** do you keep the paint out of the jig eye when using powder coat? Don't tell me to buy painted jig heads because I'm too stubborn for that. I'll figure out something. Thanks.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Remove the paint from the eye before you cure them. The paint is softer then and easier to remove. It's hard as hell after curing.

HEY!!! I just noticed that I have passed the 3000 mark!! woohoo! Kinda sad that I don't have anything better to do, huh?

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Brother Bob. I tried removing the paint on some I painted last night. When I cured them. the paint melted back over the holes.
    Last edited by Speck; 10-20-2009 at 11:39 AM.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Default How I do it

I just do about 10 at a time, dip them in the powder, no primer, just the lead head, as soon as they are dry I take a big hook #2 and poke it clean and let set over night..... what is with all this curing stuff, I never have one last that long....... :D I went to a heat gun instead of bic lighter or candle and it works much nicer..... and cleaner.......
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

Default painting jig heads

for spec hunter,I buy skirt collars. just slip over eye works great. hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bwillaub View Post
    Remove the paint from the eye before you cure them. The paint is softer then and easier to remove. It's hard as hell after curing.

HEY!!! I just noticed that I have passed the 3000 mark!! woohoo! Kinda sad that I don't have anything better to do, huh?
    Congrats on the promotion, GENERAL!

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Watch how hot you get them or you will end up with to much paint on them. That will make them run down when painting. I also had to turn down the heat in my little toaster oven to 275 and bake them for a full 20 minutes. I use a little fuel burning lamp now and it works great. Easy to adjust flame on it and will last forever on a fill up of fuel. I bought a half gallon and have not touched it from the first time I filled it up. I dip 50 at a time. Hang them set timer to 20 minutes and walk away. Day or two later go back take them out and bag up and dip 50 more and put them in to cure. Toaster oven rack holds 50 just perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

That's "GENERAL, SIR" to you, wall hanger.

Thanky,:D

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bwillaub View Post
    That's "GENERAL, SIR" to you, wall hanger.

Thanky,:D
    YES SIR!! Forgot my place there for a second SIR!

Post Thanks / Like

Now back to the topic:

I use a propane torch to heat mine up. Just run through the flame for about 3 seconds and dip, shake excess paint off by tapping on paint jar rim, hang, and let cool. After I get 50 coated, I use an eye tool to clean the eyes out. I don't cure them till at least 24 hrs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast