Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: dumping minnows

Post Thanks / Like

Default dumping minnows

I have heard two sides to the argument of dumping leftover minnows in to lake when your finished with them. i have always been under the impression that you should never dump them. i mostly fish forrest preserve lakes up here,
    lakes range from 20-350 acres. i know i will get alot of differnt opinions on this question. so let me here them.
    thanks dgi

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Straight out of the KY Rules & Regs ...

Quote Originally Posted by dgi View Post
    I have heard two sides to the argument of dumping leftover minnows in to lake when your finished with them. i have always been under the impression that you should never dump them. i mostly fish forrest preserve lakes up here,
    lakes range from 20-350 acres. i know i will get alot of differnt opinions on this question. so let me here them.
    thanks dgi
    DISPOSE OF BAIT ON LAND OR IN THE TRASH—

NOT IN THE WATER

Bait and non-native plants and animals hitchhiking in bait can harm our lakes, rivers and streams.

Protect Our Waters!

Don’t Dump Bait

.... and I think it's pretty much a country-wide idea. Some states don't even allow the use of minnows !!

... cp

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I do not dump mine in the lake. I dumped some in the pond behind my house one time and it caused problems.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have an minnow tank at home and minnows that's not used goes back home for the next trip.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

dumping them in public water is against the law here.

Post Thanks / Like

if i ever dump em, its like three or four, otherwise they go home with me.

Post Thanks / Like

i dump them in the lake have you ever seen a lake that didn't have minnows?
    The fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad

Post Thanks / Like

I always, ALWAYS dump on the ground. You have no idea what species that minnow could be. They won't go to waste. Dump them on the ground and see what's left tomorrow. Cats, possums, raccoons - all of 'em will find those minnows and eat 'em - just like a fish would have when you were fishing!!

Post Thanks / Like

YEP! as far back as i can remenber you never dump minnows [bait shop] in the lake or pond your fishing. i brought this topic up because in local fishing fourm there was a this guys family farm pond & they are only catching small bass & he mentioned buying dozens of minnows from his local bait shop & dumping them in his pond to feed the bass. i responded to his thread that was not the problem & dumping minnows was a bad idea & my responce was never answered by anyone so i was just making sure what ive always been told is true

Post Thanks / Like

Thats how we got blueback herring, alewives, white perch, and rainbow trout here in Lake Norman....ive seen all four of those caught here. Yes I know some illegal stocking took place on the first two, but the others were a result of bait tanks.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast