Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: materials for crappie structure

Post Thanks / Like

Default materials for crappie structure

Does anyone know what materials work best in crappie condos? I have heard of using pvc, bamboo, and wood in concrete blocks. My dad and I (Im 15) are wanting to make some structure to place in a lake near by to increase our chances of catching a mess of crappie. Any help will be appreciated.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

all the above will work bamboo is #1. pvc takes more time to build aga . you might paint it and it might attract fish quicker . most like bamboo . do a search on it . there is a thread just below this one that showes a pick .you can do a search and git a lot of info on condoes frome this site . go to the ga. forum and read some ot the threads . especialey on falconsmitty
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

We make 8' x 8' matts. We take (5) 2x4's 8' long. Turn them on edge. We nail (7) 1x4's (sawmill lumber) 3-1/2 ft long vertically to each 2x4. We use (5) 2x4's per matt. They are about a 1-1/2' apart parallel to each other laying horizontally. The bottom edge of the 2x4 is on the lake bottom, the 1x4's are sticking up from the lake bottom. We use (3) 8 ft 1x4's laying across the top edge of the 2x4's to hold this matt together.
    We have a work boat with a conveyor on the front. We set the matt on the conveyor, put 3 used concrete blocks on the front of the matt using the holes in the blocks to go over the 1x4's and 4 concrete blocks on the back of the matt sliding down over the 1x4's. The front of the matt sitting on the front of the boat goes off first naturally and the back side of the matt follows. We put more weight on the back side of the matt to let it catch up to the front as it sinks, as the front hits the water first, when we push it off. We have 300 of these. I like this matt as it is easy to find with a gps, it lasts a long time and unlike buckets, you are able to fish all of the way to the lake bottom, because there is structure there. With buckets, there is a bucket, the fish must be suspended (sort of) to be on the vertical stakes. Our vertical stakes go from lake bottom up 3-1/2 ft and there are 35 stakes per matt.
    Last edited by sls; 10-23-2005 at 03:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm partial to pvc, because it is lightweight, and doesnt take much weight to
    sink. you can put it in your boat and assemble it on the water, when there
    arent many boats around. I put mine out in daytime in November, or during
    the rest of the year after dark.

chef