Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Do they spawn in the fall?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do they spawn in the fall?

Last saturday my son and I caught 30 slabs in a local watershed. The fish were 10 feet deep in 11 feet of water. There was one log they were stacked on. Cleaned the Sunday afternoon and there were a lot of eggs in several of them. This got me to wondering do they spawn again in the fall? Several other fishermen I know say they only spawn in the spring? Although the eggs were not as large as in the spring they were crooked down and blood red. Anybody have any opinions on this?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

They start now developing eggs for the spring spwan. They do not spawn in the fall.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I believe you now. We went back this morning and the fish we caught had eggs but they were bigger. I thought the way the eggs were positioned that they may have been about to drop them. But in today's fish the eggs were a little higher in the chest cavity. We only caught 10 before we noticed water rising in the boat. The bilge pump had busted and was letting water in. Hope to get back next weekend. I'm curious to how the eggs will look then.