Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pond help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pond help

Still a lot to learn and know I can get some ideas here. I have a pond a little less than 1 acre. Slightly stained water from field runoff. Bluegill, redear,bass (small, the big ones winterkilled last winter) , a few catfish (same as the bass) and crappie. There are some very nice crappie based on what I can catch in the winter (open water) and spring through early summer. My question is, what would you all try this time of year? Pretty much limited to shore fishing and can cast to 95% of the pond. Limited vegetation in the form of lily pads which are thick to about 15' from shore in a couple of spots. I know I need to sink some wood or wood-type structure, just haven't done it as of yet. Typically throw HJ6's, solid body tubes, grubs and small jigs. Don't really like minnows, but thinking I need to try them more. Seems to be a good population with many year classes present, but at times it's like there are none! Thanks in advance. Oh, max depth is about 12' with 1/3 of pond being a 3-4' flat.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm no biologist but crappie will take over a small(under 100 acre) pond in a short time. Gills and bass aren't like that and do better in smaller ponds. I like Beetle Spins in smaller waters. Change the tails as you wish. They let you cover water quickly, and changes in retrieve can cover top to bottom. A 1/2 or 1 turn of the reel stall will trigger bites from lookers at times.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I would use minnows for bait from time to time. I usually throw in a X-Mas tree or 2 every year in my pond just off the bank where there is a bit of a slope on the bottom. I have crappie in one of my ponds and I'm ready to keep most of what are caught. I wouldn't say yes or no to having crappie in a pond(I know it isn't recommended) but I really believe if you manage the pond by keeping all crappie and having a lot of bass it could work. I have permission to fish 2 local ponds with crappie and here is my experience:

In one pond someone threw in 2 big catfish and before they were caught and taken out they ate most every fish in the pond and for a long time you couldn't buy a bite. After the catfish got out I caught some nice crappie and kept them but now there is a family feud over the pond and I don't go there much anymore.

The other one I don't know how often anybody fished or kept anything out of it but you could fill up your bucket with 6-8" crappie in no time. It appears to me nobody ever kept any crappie but I keep every one.

Just my $0.02.

Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee Ref View Post
    what would you all try this time of year?

A small marabou-and-chenille jig would be my first choice. I prefer marabou to plastic in cooler water. I would try a solid chartreuse or solid black in 1/32 oz size. You could also drop down to 1/64 oz or move up to 1/16, but I wouldn't go heavier than that.

If a plain jig did not work, try tipping it with a crappie nibble, wax worm, or small piece of nightcrawler. If you can't catch fish on that, go home and watch football.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Fooball???? Naaawwwww!!!!!
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I know a pond that has 20 acres of water, shaped like a crescent moon, 60' deep max, that has millions of white crappie. The problem is, you rarely see one over 7" to 8" long. It's easy to catch doubles or triples on small maribou or hair jigs tipped with 1-1/2" to 2" minnows. It has a great bass population, along with channel cats, and medium size bream.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

One pond I fish occassionally on a buddy's farm...the only thing I can get the crappie to look at is an inline spinner like a roostertail...and a very small one at that.....
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

cherokee you have a pm!
    GET IN, SIT DOWN, HOLD ON, AND BE VEWY VEWY QUITE!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to beat a tube or marabou jig tipped with a nibble under a cork. Fish it SLOOOW.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the help guys. I agree with the fact that crappie can overpopulate small ponds/lakes quickly. At this time, fir whatever reason, that doesn't seem to be the case. Best population is of 11.5-13" fish. Concerned that the lack of large predators after last winter's fish kill may lend itself to becoming that way, though. My best guess of where they go late summer to early/mid fall is that they are in the pads and just hard to target. By the way, have helped keep the population down by removing all small fish caught to neighbor's pond to stock it. (He asked me to.) Look forward to any more tips you may have. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast