Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bait shop and counting minnows out question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bait shop and counting minnows out question

I always figured a bait shop selling minnows was pretty much a lost leader item and the money was made selling other items to the fisherman coming into the store. Last week I purchased 6 dozen minnows from the local store and we fished a full day on them, the minnow bucket was black with minnows when leaving the store. Today I went to the same store and the price had went up $.75 per dozen and they actually counted each and every minnow out. I asked for 6 dozen again and came home thinking the tank just didn't look right so I counted them out myself again and low and behold my 6 dozen turned into 51 minnows.

What is the norm back east for your local bait shops counting em out?

Too hot out here still to start my own tank in the yard, so until then we are at the mercy of the bait shop.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

We use to have a place that not only counted them but would handle them too which will shorten their life. Needless to say I don't go there any more. Most places are very generous and you get a lot more than you pay for.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I will buy from a bait store that COUNTS minnows ONCE. If they won't sell them by weight, I'm out the door. I don't have the time or patience.

They buy them by the pound, so they should sell them the same way.

Gman
    We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

Post Thanks / Like

Default The ole minner mizer....

does business here also. There is one store around me that actually lets you get your own minners . All the rest count out them out one at a time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    I will buy from a bait store that COUNTS minnows ONCE. If they won't sell them by weight, I'm out the door. I don't have the time or patience.

They buy them by the pound, so they should sell them the same way.

Gman
    I don't know why all don't sale them by weight. That is really the only way to sell them and be consistent. Also it's much faster so less time is spent counting minnows.

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen stores where they let you get your own minnows, which is really not a good thing cause people take advantage of trust. However I do not agree with counting them either. You can get a close enough count and make it reasonable without counting every minnow and you should always get a few more minnows due to them dying. I remember one place I use to buy minnows and i would buy 2 dozen and end up with well over 100 minnows, they must have liked me

Post Thanks / Like

What's A Minnow??????

Post Thanks / Like

the shop i go to charges by the scoop. its supposed to be for a dozen but you get well over two dozen for 3 bones

Post Thanks / Like

I went to a little gas station that everyone recommend for minnows and certain tackle. The first time I went I got an older lady and she counted them out and I got 48 minnows for the 4 dozen I asked for. I told her that I came there because everyone said how generous the count was. She told me she just worked there and she was going by what I asked for. I told the owner who was at the register that if that was how they was selling minnows I wouldn't waste my time going out of my way to buy there anymore that several people recommended them to me but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone else if they was counting them out. He looked in the bucket and said Oh my god, told her that wasn't how they sold minnows. He went back and loaded my minnow bucket with a generous amount of minnows. I have been going there for the past 3 years. If the old gal is in there I ask someone else to get the minnows for me. I usually will buy 2 doz crappie and 2 dozen large minnows so I have what the Crappie are looking for when they want minnows. I always try to be prepared. Any left overs I take home and put in my bait fridge. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rocket rich View Post
    What's A Minnow??????
    Same thing as a Minner, LOL :D
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast