Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lucky me.....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lucky me.....

Took the 17 ft war-eagle to the water Wed. Backed down the ramp. And when I stepped on the tongue to unhook the winch, Well the tongue broke. It was a slow fall. The top of the 2 1/2" tubing held.
    So I pulled back to the top of the ramp, Backed it in the grass. Took about 4 hours and 3 trips to get enough stuff to patch it and make it back home.

It had a little spot under the winch stand that was bent. And that it where it broke. so watch out if you have an older trailer and the tongue has a bent spot on it..
    Hope to rework it today and be back in fishing....

Lucky part. Is that is could have hapened in the hwy..But it did it on the ramp.

Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Pete, Thats the only good thing about bad luck--Most of the time it could have been worse!! Hope you get it fixed and catch a boat load!!
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lucky

Hey Pete, Glad No Body Got Hurt And Whatever You Do Don't
    Use J-b Weld,but I Know You Won't You Have W Weld Machine.
    Spider Rig Man

Post Thanks / Like

Happened to me while I WAS driving! Just took the Broadway bridge north across the Missouri River in KC... The bridge ramp is fairly steep where it joins the city street... The tongue snapped completely... rusted from the inside out... Learned 1st hand why you're supposed to cross the safety chains! The tongue was cradled by the chains and never touched the ground. Doubt that curly cables on my new boat/trailer would do that. Repair shop fabricated a new tongue from square tubing and reinforced it with a smaller section of tube that just fit inside it.

Then there was the time I put the pin BEHIND the hitch in the receiver... DUH! Felt a little odd but kept driving... until the hitch pulled out of the receiver on a hill... Woah!
    Couldn't find a place to stop going uphill (Interstate traffic) so the trailer remodeled the trunk of the old Crown Vic with a couple of stout blows. Some people just seem to learn the hard way!

Gonna have to change my handle to "Long Storie"
    Last edited by ShortStorie; 10-21-2005 at 03:19 PM. Reason: spelling error

Post Thanks / Like

Fixed it today. cut the place out, And added a 2"X1/4" sq tubing inside the other one. Welded it all up and its ready to go again.
    Dought it ever breaks again. The new inside tubing runs the whole length of it..

Wish I had thought about the JB Weld. sure would have been better than all the welding and cutting..HEHEH

PEte