PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk Braid Line

mikeg
10-21-2005, 06:37 AM
I here a few of the fishermen on here frome time to time talking about Braid Line what is the purpose of Braid line,yes I have used it a few times Bass fishing in some realy bad conditions such as pads,hydrila,it will cut through that kind of stuff. Yes I now it is no stretch but what would be the purpose to use it Crappie fishing,when I put out Crappie condoes the only way I want to see them again is on my depth finder I don't want to pull them up to the boat and see how many bates have ben lost on them. About the strongist line I ever use is 10# test with the mono line we have now 10#is prety dog gone strong but most of the time I use 6#test line sure I will break off some but a lot of the time that is just what I want to do if I get hung up. Most of the time the hook will bend with 10#test line. If you keep a check on your line and retie when you see frayed line you will be ok. Who needs that junk.

mikeg

TAE73
10-21-2005, 07:07 AM
I switched all my crappie reels out to Power Pro 10lb test/2lb dia. To me it has its pros and cons. But the pros for me far out weighted the cons. I dont ever see myself going back to mono line for long long time. If you do buy some of the power pro, i would suggest the yellow or white. The moss green hides itself to well, its tough to see a bite as the jig is falling.

PanMan_VA
10-21-2005, 07:28 AM
The main reasons I use braided line are the low memory and smaller diameter.

J White
10-21-2005, 07:35 AM
I kind of have a love/hate relatioship with "superlines" -
but the places it really shines for me, is a deep vertical jigging ,
drifting, or trolling application. It is so much more sensitive, you can
better feel whats going on at the other end, and it cuts through the
water easier, in smaller diameters, so you get less bow in your line.
I used 10 lb. Fireline for main line a bunch when I was mainly flatlining
jigs. But if I'm casting and reeling, I can't stand the feel of it going through
the guides... One other benefit I almost forgot, if you are fishing with a lot
of lines, and end up with a bunch of slack line laying in the floor, say untangling a catfish out of 2-3 rods, it is EASY handling - it won't wad
and ball up like mono - no "memory", limp.

horseshoer
10-21-2005, 07:47 AM
I just posted on the VA board couple weeks ago asking about braided. Someone there said Power Pro also. I am going to try it. I have fished Trilene XL all my life (either 4 or
6 lb) and years ago I bought a big spool of Ande 6 lb that had 925 yds on it-it has turned out to be the best line I have run across. Don't know why I have kept buying
Trilene. Also just tried Shakespeare Supreme Super Smooth and it seems okay. I am
mystified as to why the Ande lays on my reel spool so much better than any other line.
It has like zero memory from day 1. Maybe being wound onto a wide spool vs those
narrow 330 yd ones at the factory makes a diff?
Agree with Mikeg on overkill. I lifted a gallon paint bucket with 4' Xmas tree full of
cement up 27 ' on 6 lb years ago and that told me what I needed about my line strength as I am not sturgeon fishing.
Jeff
Ted, what are the pros & cons about the Power Pro ?

Boatman
10-21-2005, 09:00 AM
NO MEMORY!!

I am going to install Power Pro on my rods this weekend before going Sunday.
Last week with new Mono I had a few birdnests off my ultralight. I am not going to do it for strength reasons, but the very low memory P.Pro has. I exclusively use PPro on all my bowfishing Spinning reels 100lb test. I am sold. It is very user freindly, for that matter very strong also.

TAE73
10-21-2005, 09:53 AM
Ted, what are the pros & cons about the Power Pro ?

Pros-
Lose alot less jigs fishing in heavy cover.
Hauls fish out of heavy cover.
Detects the lighter bites much better, even on a cheap rod.
Has no memory, been using the same spool over a year thats pretty much every weekend.
No stretch, which helps the bite detection.
Cast farther than mono.

Cons-
Will not cut with clippers, need to use scissors.
Will cut your fingers when you are hung and pull on the line with your hand. Use a towel or rod handle instead.
Seems to catch on the last eye on the rod.
The line is very light so a windy day the wind can be a pain.

I have tried the 8/1, 10/2, and 15/4. I seem to like the 10/2 the best. The 8/1 is to light and the 15/4 was to much of a pain to break when snagged.

horseshoer
10-21-2005, 11:06 AM
Thanks. Going to get some today.
Jeff

Jim C.
10-21-2005, 11:22 AM
been useing it this summer i like it on a short rod with not very much wind. It is very sensitive to feel the soft bite & saves alot of jigs!!!. Jim

labill
10-21-2005, 12:32 PM
I got hooked on braids from the first time I used it. It's nice to have a line with no memory, no stretch hence super sensitivity, and for trolling the advantage is the greatly reduced line diameter. You can still get depth even when the crappie want a faster moving meal, no planer boards or super heavy weights. Strong enough to get your jigs back if hung on brush, but heed the warning about it cutting your hands!!! Wrap it around something other than your hands, as mentioned in a previous post. One of the downsides not mentioned is it's higher vis in clear water. Here in LA, we don't have many really clear waters, but there are some that are clear. In those cases, I tie on a 3 ft. florocarbon leader, usually in a 6# test, using a "Uni Knot Version of the Hangman's knot" to join them, it's the only one I found that works with mono to braid. I've used mono again a few times under certain circumstances, but it feels like a big rubber band as compared to braid and I have to remove it. My preference in braids is SpiderWire Stealth in various weights, depending on the species I'm after that day. That's my 2 cents on braids, boys and girls.....good fishing!

This is a link to see the "Uni Knot Version Of the Hangman's knot" if you're inclined to try it. Just scroll down to find it.

http://www.fishingcairns.com.au/page6-1.html

CrappiePappy
10-21-2005, 01:21 PM
over the last year. Here's some observations, and re-inforcement of some things already mentioned.

Moss Green - hard to see (so use accordingly)
Yellow - brightness fades out fairly quickly, but is still more visable than clear/blu mono

It does make a "grinding" noise, when reeled thru the guides on flimsy rods (UL's & micro-lites) ... but, no noticable damage has occurred to the ceramic rings. On heavier action poles - no noise noticed.

Wind knots do occur, on occasion, if casting very light baits ... especially if you are a "wrist snap" caster. The line is very "light", compared to mono, and much limper ... so it stands to reason that light baits in windy conditions are not the ultimate conditions.

Casting distances are improved ... simply by the fact of smaller diameter, & no memory coils. It seems to lay on the line spool better (more uniform) than the "Xtra tough" mono's, and heavier or equivalent pound test monos.

Scissors are the best tool I've found to cut it with ... specifically Fiskar Childs size scissors (small size makes them tackle box friendly). The cut is clean, and there's no raggy tag end ... or "burn/melt bulge" (as when using flame).

I use the Improved Clinch Knot on PowerPro - so far, no breakage at the knot - no knots coming "undone" - and, seemingly, no loss of strength at the knot. I have had very good results from pulling snagged jigs free, usually bending the hook out ... even on Roadrunners, which have a stouter hook than my other jigs. DO NOT try and pull/break PowerPro free with your hands !! Wrap the line around something solid (and I don't suggest using the rod handles, either - especially if they are cork or foam, as the line may cut thru those, too).

My main use for PowerPro has been casting 1/16oz Roadrunners - 6ft Med action Graphite rod/Shimano Spirex 2000 (basically, med. Bass tackle). Even when fish are just "mouthing" the bait, it seems to transmit the "feel" a lot better than mono .. resulting in more hookups. The "no stretch" quality also means that, a "wrist snap" hookset, is all that is necessary for a good hookup ... even from a long distance. My 7 & 8 footers w/mono, require that the rod tip be moved a greater distance, to produce the same quality of hook set/hookup.

PowerPro will twist, when used on spinning reels ... but, the effects are minimal, compared to the same amount of twist with mono. Removing twists in PowerPro can be accomplished in the same manner, as when "untwisting" mono.

It isn't a "perfect" line ... and it isn't for all people, or uses. But, in certain conditions - it outperforms mono, hands down. The initial cost is overcome by the longevity, verses mono.

These are just my humble opinions, and in no way express an "expert" view on the subject. ...........cp :cool:

crap-king
10-21-2005, 03:26 PM
addictivefishing.com has it for 7.95 for 150 yd spool

TAE73
10-21-2005, 05:02 PM
addictivefishing.com has it for 7.95 for 150 yd spool

That is real chep, but I wonder how much shipping is?

CrappieHead
10-22-2005, 12:28 AM
Been seeing Power Pro on e-bay going for $12-18 for 300 yards. Been track both 8/1 & 10/2 but they only have the green and some times the yellow, no white ever.

papasage
10-22-2005, 06:35 AM
i have a lot of zebco 33 spinners will the brade work on them. i use them for most all my fishing and i do a lot of brem and cat fishing.

CrappiePappy
10-22-2005, 07:53 AM
Crappiehead ... I believe the white starts in the 50lb test range, and goes higher. I don't think that's of much use to Crappie anglers :rolleyes: if that's the case....LOL!!! (see listings here - http://www.alltackle.com/power_pro.htm )

Crap-king ... Where on the Addictivefishing.com site can you purchase PowerPro line ? I did not see any. They have a flashing "ad" for it - but, that takes you to the PowerPro website (and they don't sell it off their home site).

Best commercial "on line" deal I've found is - http://www.sportsauthority.com/cart/index.jsp ... $13 for a 100yd spool of 10lb Yellow (price = $8/spool + $5 s/h)

Ebay "buy it now" deal - 300yd spool of 10lb Yellow PowerPro @ $22.50 + $2.50 s/h = $25

CrappieHead
10-22-2005, 09:05 AM
Crappiehead ... I believe the white starts in the 50lb test range, and goes higher. I don't think that's of much use to Crappie anglers :rolleyes: if that's the case....LOL!!! (see listings here - http://www.alltackle.com/power_pro.htm )

Crap-king ... Where on the Addictivefishing.com site can you purchase PowerPro line ? I did not see any. They have a flashing "ad" for it - but, that takes you to the PowerPro website (and they don't sell it off their home site).

Best commercial "on line" deal I've found is - http://www.sportsauthority.com/cart/index.jsp ... $13 for a 100yd spool of 10lb Yellow (price = $8/spool + $5 s/h)

Ebay "buy it now" deal - 300yd spool of 10lb Yellow PowerPro @ $22.50 + $2.50 s/h = $25

Yes PowerPro does sell off there Home web site. Yes they make the 8/1 & 10/2 in the white. I know for a fact someone on this site that used the 10/2 in the white color and uses a marker to color the few feet to the lure.

PowerPro prices on the web site is a little higher than most places I have priced it.

Boatman
10-22-2005, 09:05 AM
I paid 13.99 for the 150 yard spool of 8/1 yesterday at the local bait shop down the street. The stuff is really catching on around here and Brad said its hard to keep on the shelf. I spooled up a new Shakespear Prius combo I bought and plan on giving it a work out Sunday afternoon!!

CrappiePappy
10-22-2005, 02:10 PM
Good catch, Duane ... I must have been half asleep when I checked out PowerPro's home site !! I didn't even see the "specialty store" link. My bad, bro. My only defense is that I had just come home from a long, busy night at work ... and just wasn't seeing/thinking straight .... LOL!! And I did see where they have the White, in the smaller lb tests.
Thanks for the correction ... and my apologies to anyone that I may have led astray. ...............cp :cool: