Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: spey rod, which one is a good one?

Post Thanks / Like

Default spey rod, which one is a good one?

Anybody out there speycast ? trying to findout which rod will hold up to the rollcasting ,and what would be a good lenght and weight for a 100 ft rollcast?

Post Thanks / Like

There are lots of good rods on the market. All of the major rod companies sell them. Typical length is 12-14'.

The first question I would ask is: do you really need a spey rod? You can make spey casts with a single-handled rod.

What are you fishing for? Why the need for such a long cast?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Catfish,striper,white bass,anything that swims

Catfish,striper,white bass,anything that swims in the Arkansas river below #12,13,14,15,and 16 Dams

Post Thanks / Like

You can catch all those fish using spey casts with a single-handed rod. I'd just make certain that regular fly tackle won't do the job before sinking a lot of money into a spey outfit.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time about this. I'm just trying to save you some money.

Spey casting is about the coolest thing going (especially when done by a woman) :

YouTube - Women Anglers Jeong Park fly fishing video
    Last edited by deathb4disco; 10-15-2009 at 05:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Speyrod ?

Yes,She makes it look easy and is very easy on the eyes.
    Just wanting to here some experience out there about which rods are good and those that should be avoided.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it would be hard to go wrong with any of these rods. Just pick one that fits your budget. I would not buy any of them without casting a bunch first, though.

Spey Rods

Lots of rod discussion here:

Rods - Spey Pages

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spey rod?

Hey,Thanks.
    The Speyrod forum pages are the kind of info i wanted.
    I have a DVD titled The art of spey casting.But was looking for a more real world account of what works and what don't. Yeah i'm trying to save myself some pain & money,by listening to the guys that have been there done that.
    Thanks Again.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a thought and not knowing where you are fishing, several companies make "switch" rods - 10 1/2 to 11 feet long that allow both one-handed casting and spey casting. I've seen them offered in 5-weight to 9-weight, and they are typically a bit cheaper than full-blown spey rods. If one might work in your particular instance, I'd consider it before buying anything else.
    Like I said, just a thought.
    Pete