Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Great Nite on a Local Spillway!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great Nite on a Local Spillway!!

Decided to go try my luck tonight after work at a local spillway we usually fish during the winter and spring months, just needed to get out and do somthing different. Invited along a friends son whos a freshman at Del Tech Community College since he has a break for a few days from baseball practice.
    First went and caught some grass shrimp since they are sometimes a good bait around here in our mill ponds. Wow was my little seacret shimp spot loaded with shrimp, caught about 300 in 3 dips, so a good start!
    So off to the spillway, Kyle tried some shrimp right away and caught a small perch, I was in the middles of a giant tangle i got on 1st cast, not such a good start? Kyle kept trying the shrimp but no good so when i finally got re rigged with a 2 1/2 fin-s on a 1/32 jig head i whipped it up under the spillway and bam, small crappie, encouraging! Told kyle if i do that again they are probably up underneath, well bam again and another small crappie, 6 to 8 inches. Well bam, bam, bam, etc.... 5 more small crappie pretty much as quick as i could get up under there?
    So now im feeling a bit guilty since my friend is not doing so good with his heavier line and pole so I give him my pole and spot and he immediatly starts doing a very good imatation of my preformance. Hey what are friends for? I rig another fin-s and jig in my other pole and move to the other side of the spillway and start getting them there too. So till we leave when it was pretty dark I caught 15 and kyle caught 11 in about 1 1/2 hours of fishing. Think there might be a nice school there? Most all were in the 6 to 8 inch size which is good since we have been a little concerned about the future of this pond since our spring outings there were not as good as they have been in the past, so there is a good batch of crappie coming along I would think
    I did get one slab that was 13", seemed like a monster compared to all the smaller fish we caught!
    So like I said a great evening adventure, might try again tomarro to see if it was just a fluke?

Post Thanks / Like

Thats what fishing is all about right there. Sharing spots, sharing rods, don't want your bud going fishless. Thanks for the story Duck

Post Thanks / Like

Stopped by the s plillway with G-duck tonight after supper for an hr. or so got about a dozen each. I been fishing that spot for many years and never caught fish that size they were always fairly big and this past spring was slower then normal there I was wondering if all those big ole crappie died off but it appears we have a new class of fish coming on in there now, probably a good sign for the future.