Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie help

Post Thanks / Like

Question Crappie help

This is my first year fishing for Crappie. I only had 2 good days in June and July with some nice size ones on the Madison County Lake. I tried last thursday in Guntersville on hwy 69 under the bridge(I don't have a boat) but only caught 2 big ones in a span of 2 hours on a Bobby Garland in midday...but I watched another gentleman on a boat catch at least 20 of them maybe 30 ft from me. Am I doing something wrong? Where else can I catch some great crappie?

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mgravesjr View Post
    This is my first year fishing for Crappie. I only had 2 good days in June and July with some nice size ones on the Madison County Lake. I tried last thursday in Guntersville on hwy 69 under the bridge(I don't have a boat) but only caught 2 big ones in a span of 2 hours on a Bobby Garland in midday...but I watched another gentleman on a boat catch at least 20 of them maybe 30 ft from me. Am I doing something wrong? Where else can I catch some great crappie?
    I would say the gentleman in the boat was sitting over a brush pile or some other fish holding cover...
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks RNVINC!

Post Thanks / Like

You never know about something like that. It could be he was over cover, it could be he was using a lighter test line, maybe he was using minnows, maybe he was a better twitcher, maybe he was using an attractant like crappie nibbles or it about could have been anything. I've seen it happen a bunch. Maybe next time it will be you snaging them.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

All good points sea-sons....it pays to never be afraid to try something new when the bite is off....crappie are finiky sometimes.....
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

perfect example for you...

i have a stump(known as the MAGIC stump) i fish, i can easily reach it from shore, and can manage to catch a good days worth of fish by doing so. I go back out and fish the same stump from a boat, and you cant take your eyes off your rod, caught nearly 3 times the amount of fish i had from shore. Best i can figure is the angle at which your presenting the bait. Goofy thing was, while using a boat, i managed to run over the stump, make much more noise and a bunch of other things that should have hindered the catch greatly...go figure

HB

Post Thanks / Like

Try the bridges at south sauty,north sauty and mink creek. I have fished these areas several years and they all produce nice fish. Dont be afraid to get up early.
    Dont catch em all, save a few for seed!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! You're a really big help. I'm going to try the same spot and several tactics tomorrow morning and see if I can cast where the other guy was fishing.

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You didn't say what your technique was. Have you tried slip bobbers? That way you can set the depth, throw past your target, and slowly swim your bait back to you. Vary the depth until you find the magic one.

"gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

If your question was directed to me,the answer is yes I use slip floats when i use live bait but I tend to have more luck with jigs.
    Dont catch em all, save a few for seed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast