Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: muddy water and crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default muddy water and crappie

what effect does muddy water have on the crappie what do yall think

Post Thanks / Like

Makes them hold tighter to cover. They have to have something as a reference so they don't get lost when it gets really nasty. At least Black crappie do anyway. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with crappiefarmer, best lure for me 1/8 roadrunner with 2" black and pink tube slow jig vertical around cover. Sunny days better than cloudy and often they will move more shallow.

Post Thanks / Like

i have found in muddy waters that opposite ends of the color range both work well in muddy water. The really dark colors work good because they provide a silhouette but if they are not working, then bright colors of Chart, blaze orange, hot pink, white work good too. The middle of the scale colors just fade away in the mud. CF

Post Thanks / Like

I was just wondering the same question what about minnows are they good to us or does plastics work better in muddy water.How about shooting docks?
    James & April Linderman

Vicious Tournament Team Members
    Southern Pro Pro Staff
    HI-Tek Rod Holders

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have caught some nice white crappie fishing minnows in muddy water while spider rigging. Never tried shooting docks in muddy water.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

The minnows will work because they are alive and the crappie can smell them. Just keep in mind that the muddier it gets, the more You will have to drop the bait right on their nose to get them to bite because of murky/muddy conditions. Find cover and drop bait down to the crappie's face and You can catch some fish in muddy water. Also as was said before, think really shallow too. Especially in winter/early spring as water warms faster the dingier it becomes. CF

Post Thanks / Like

I fish one of the muddiest lakes in the country, Arkabutla, and we use chartreuse, pinks, orange, and blacks regularly. Don't hesitate to fish plastics with minnows too, especially when slow trolling. When fishing shallow cover no minnow needed because you looking for reaction strike and you don't leave the bait there long enough to matter. No thump, move on.

Post Thanks / Like

Bring on the muddy water I say, i really think it only effects the fisherman not the fish. Of course this doesnt pertain to newly muddy cold water, which I hate. But after a few days of stable weather the fish will be fine.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

Post Thanks / Like

I'll take heavyly stained water over gin clear water anyday. Might want to try some crappie nibbles for some extra scent.