Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trolling motor speed question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling motor speed question

I would post this elsewhere but it's not about the motor itsself, as it is the speed. I have an old 24lb thrust bow mount trolling motor with the tiller style handle. You know, the one you twist the handle. It pulls my boat along at 1.2mph or so on the slowest setting (16' Lowe John Boat). Any ideas how to slow it down? Drift socks, 5 gallon buckets? Anything I can do to make it variably slower? Id like to hit that 0.6-0.8mph area. I new trolling motor would be great, but thatd be like putting 24" chrome rims on a pinto. Trying to set up for long lining, as well as possible since I have to sit on the bow itsself to run the motor.

Post Thanks / Like

One five gallon bucket should do the trick. I use one when I am pulling crankbaits with the big motor on my toon. Slows me down about .2-.3 mph.

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a thought...never done it...but what about picking up another prop and modifying it to reduce the speed? Like I said, just a thought.:o
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Like slapping it on the belt sander? lol Great idea actually.

Post Thanks / Like

Cutting down the blades will work but you have to be careful and get the same amount off from each blade. If you do not get them close to the same you will have severe vibration.
    To make life enjoyable, you must have crappie days.

Post Thanks / Like

Simplest thing to do is get a chain with with a long rope. Drag it behind the boat. If it is too slow , pull in some rope to lift the chain a little at time to adjust your speed .

Post Thanks / Like

I really have cut the blades down on the prop before on my trolling motor while trout fishing in the little red river and it worked, a few days later I found a 4 blade prop that was shorter than my two blade which slowed me down. I don't understand about the five gallon bucket, do you just drag it behind the boat? Do drill holes in it or leave it solid?
    nothing beats time on the water

Post Thanks / Like

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by foul hook View Post
    Simplest thing to do is get a chain with with a long rope. Drag it behind the boat. If it is too slow , pull in some rope to lift the chain a little at time to adjust your speed .

You're kidding, right?

Please, DON'T DO THIS!!
    We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

Post Thanks / Like

No ! Not kidding at all. You might have to adjust the amount of chain but it will work. I use a 5 ft of 1/2 in. That is a lot of chain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wish4fish View Post
    I really have cut the blades down on the prop before on my trolling motor while trout fishing in the little red river and it worked, a few days later I found a 4 blade prop that was shorter than my two blade which slowed me down. I don't understand about the five gallon bucket, do you just drag it behind the boat? Do drill holes in it or leave it solid?
    I am on a pontoon so I drag mine onder the pontoon off the front. But you can drag it off the sides or off the back. I don't drill holes in mine either but some people do. It the same as a drift sock. I guess it's the red-neck drift sock.:D

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast