Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Jig Question?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Jig Question?

I made my first Jig last night. I got a 3-way swivel, put about 18" 6lb on one eye with the really really small quick connect swivels, then put 6" 6lb on the other with swivel.

I put two different color jigs on it and noted that the top jig wants to wind up around the lower one. Am I doing this wrong? The guy at Basspro said that's how to set it up..

The end purpose I'm going for is to be able to fish 2 color jigs and quickly setup several sets to see what they are hitting.

Thanks in advance.... I'm ok to make my own jigs..it's part of the fun.
    "Our greatest happiness does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of a good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits." - Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

the only time i use a 3-way for any sort of crappie fishing is when slow-trolling. For me, i basicly never run a jig or any sort of weight on my top line, i wind up fighting far more tangles than fish when i do.

If your looking to run a tandem set-up for casting, or vertical jigging, leave the 3-way out, and tie a loop knot however far you want up your main line(16" in your case), if you keep your top loop just a few inches or less long, it wont tangle as much if at all. Im sure somebody on here can point you in the direction of a good loop knot. I like the one wally marshall uses, easiest for me to tie. If you run different weighted jigs, keep the lightest on top.

HB

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, loose the 3-way unless you are moving your jigs constantly. For float fishing, I tie a loop knot at the end of my line and another between 10"-24" up from that. You can switch out jigs without re-tying using the loops.

As for tangles... you will get them on occasion if you are casting any way you do it. One thing that helps is to put a heavier jig on the bottom. It helps keep everything in line when you cast.... with some practice. Weighted floats only make the problem worse IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried that too, with the same results, fouled up lines, so I gave up on the two jig theory. however, if I was to try it again, I would use a near weightless bait on top. such as taking an aberdeen minnow hook, and tie some chart. kiptail hair etc. on it, making it a fly, then put a minnow on there.