Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crappie gear

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Crappie gear

I'm just getting fishing & need help with what to use. Years ago when I did fish, I used one pole & one minnow at a time. My new-to-me boat has a spider rig mounted on it & I would like to learn to use that. So, what are your recommendations for gear ie. poles, line (weight & color), jigs(weight and color), reels, nets, etc. Any help, recommendation, advice, will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

It it partly your fault I got this fishing bug anyway.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

It all depends on how much you want to spend. How much do you want to spend on each rod and how many rods can you handle? I would give Monk a call he will get ya set up and has just about the best prices I have ever seen.

http://www.monkscrappie.com/contact_us.cfm

He is also a great guy to deal with. If it isn't right he will make it right even if he looses money. I know this from experience with him. He is one of the few folks I have dealt with that would rather loose money than risk his reputation. Give him a call you will be glad you did.
    Last edited by fishman78; 10-10-2009 at 01:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Everybody does what works best for them and we all have differing opinions, so here's my .02 cents: Me and the hubby both sit in the front, each with 4 poles. I fish with two 12 ft poles, one 11 ft and a 10 ft. There's been a ton of discussion on line type and color and everybody has their own preference. I always fish 6 lb test and have been using Suffix hi-vis yellow cause my eyes are getting older and I can't see the dang line. I always use a 1/16 or 1/8 oz jig head, colors vary by what seems to be working that day, usually a chart., orange, or white head. I don't buy expensive reels, been using the same Zebco 11T's for about 10 years, but the newer ones are almost all plastic now. One thing to think about on the net, you need a telescoping net and it needs to be light. We've been using an Ego net for a couple years now and like it real well. One last thing: never leave home without crappie nibbles! :D The ones with the glitter - neon chartreuse. Now, if you're married or have a girlfriend, you may want to show her the nibbles first, cause when you use them, you'll get little bits of glitter on you and she might think you've been to one of those "exotic" dancer places Seriously, though, they really do work.
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Vonna has hit the mark, as always. If you're casting you might want 2 more rods in the box. And these are what I use, others opinions will vary. First is a 4'6" to 5' UL rod and light reel to match. Balance is key. I haven't found a combo that has a rod and reel that I like equally, but you may. I use 4lb line on mine and don't use it around thick cover, the 4lb will break instead of straightening the hook and getting your jig back. 6lb on these small reels just doesn't cast as well. Second is a 6'6" to 7' rod in medium to medium lite action and a 2000 series reel with front drag (fronts are usually smoother). I use this for everything, and have several in this description. 3 are identical, keep diff colors or styles on each one. Backbone is needed but not as you would find in a bass rod. Super limber rods make bigger fish hard to control. All my line is hi vis yellow and is cheap at BPS under the name Offshore Angler. $5 or $6 a big spool. These longer rods and bigger reels will cast a 1/16 oz jig a pretty good ways, and get some of your jigs back when they get hung. A rod I like is a Shakespeare micro graphite in 7' lite action. $17 at wally world. If nothing else it gives you a cheap starting point to go from. The Garcia Avocet is a pretty good reel for around $20. Tight lines......
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Crappie Stalker View Post
    Everybody does what works best for them and we all have differing opinions, so here's my .02 cents: Me and the hubby both sit in the front, each with 4 poles. I fish with two 12 ft poles, one 11 ft and a 10 ft. There's been a ton of discussion on line type and color and everybody has their own preference. I always fish 6 lb test and have been using Suffix hi-vis yellow cause my eyes are getting older and I can't see the dang line. I always use a 1/16 or 1/8 oz jig head, colors vary by what seems to be working that day, usually a chart., orange, or white head. I don't buy expensive reels, been using the same Zebco 11T's for about 10 years, but the newer ones are almost all plastic now. One thing to think about on the net, you need a telescoping net and it needs to be light. We've been using an Ego net for a couple years now and like it real well. One last thing: never leave home without crappie nibbles! :D The ones with the glitter - neon chartreuse. Now, if you're married or have a girlfriend, you may want to show her the nibbles first, cause when you use them, you'll get little bits of glitter on you and she might think you've been to one of those "exotic" dancer places Seriously, though, they really do work.

Thanks Vonna. Never heard of nibbles until today. Wrote that and the net info down. Don't have wife or girlfriend, thats why I am able to but a boat. hehe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    Vonna has hit the mark, as always. If you're casting you might want 2 more rods in the box. And these are what I use, others opinions will vary. First is a 4'6" to 5' UL rod and light reel to match. Balance is key. I haven't found a combo that has a rod and reel that I like equally, but you may. I use 4lb line on mine and don't use it around thick cover, the 4lb will break instead of straightening the hook and getting your jig back. 6lb on these small reels just doesn't cast as well. Second is a 6'6" to 7' rod in medium to medium lite action and a 2000 series reel with front drag (fronts are usually smoother). I use this for everything, and have several in this description. 3 are identical, keep diff colors or styles on each one. Backbone is needed but not as you would find in a bass rod. Super limber rods make bigger fish hard to control. All my line is hi vis yellow and is cheap at BPS under the name Offshore Angler. $5 or $6 a big spool. These longer rods and bigger reels will cast a 1/16 oz jig a pretty good ways, and get some of your jigs back when they get hung. A rod I like is a Shakespeare micro graphite in 7' lite action. $17 at wally world. If nothing else it gives you a cheap starting point to go from. The Garcia Avocet is a pretty good reel for around $20. Tight lines......

And thank you MR Skeet. Made notes of your info too. I've been taking in a whole lot of info in the last few days. Hope I can retain some of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by majflyboy View Post
    Don't have wife or girlfriend, thats why I am able to but a boat. hehe
    When you find the right girl, your house will look like ours - 3 boats, crappie habitat in the backyard just waiting to be sunk, and fishing stuff in EVERY room!!! :D Gotta love it!!!
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Crappie Stalker View Post
    When you find the right girl, your house will look like ours - 3 boats, crappie habitat in the backyard just waiting to be sunk, and fishing stuff in EVERY room!!! :D Gotta love it!!!
    Yep, I've found the right girl! You know its bad when all 3 boats are under cover and the cars and truck sit in the driveway!
    And just like Skeetbum, We always have our ultralights with us. We have a few in the 4'6"-5' range. I do have a light action Wally Marshall rod that I believe is 6' long, The longer rod makes it easier for me to cast a light jig. Also the longer rod usually has a longer handle on them that allows them to work in a rod holder if need be. I lost a 4'6" that fell out of my holder while I was trying to multitask!
    Paul -- Team Crappie Stalker

Post Thanks / Like

Good recommendation from skeetbum on that UL casting rod!

I got a 5'6" one (Micro Graphite) for about the price he mentioned and I have paired it up with a nice little Shakespeare spinning reel with a nice smooth drag on it and filled with 4 lbs test line early this summer and have annilated fish on this combo all summer long. The action on it is fast enough to allow for 1/8 ounce jigs to be cast some amazing distances but has enough back bone in it that I have landed a few Hybrid (Striper/Sand Bass cross) that were in the 7-8 lbs range! For the fun dollars expended, its a lot of rod for the money.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Whatever brand poles you decide on.... be sure they are long enough to get your baits way out in front of your TM...

I use 12 footers for the 4 poles directly in front of the TM and step down to 10 footers after that.....
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast