Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Dock Shooting

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dock Shooting

Well I am heading down to LOZ to practice shooting docks. For those that have done it what type of rods do you use? I am going with a buddy of mine and using his rods, but know that I will probably need to get my own.

Well me and a box of bandaids are going to give it hell! I'll let you know how things went.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good luck Dave

on the dock shooting, I will stick to dipping trees, I am sure it is a great method at the right time, but just not really for me, I found the 10' worked as good as any rod I took, I tried the 5 and 6' footers also.......I can't get the 2 limits of angle iron cleaned that I caught......:D
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

I have better luck with an ultra-lite 4 1/2 footer. Good luck, Dave. There are a lot of fish to be caught pitching to the bluffs in about 12 to 20 fow. Light colors worked best. Blue/wht, Blue/pearl, Blue/chart, and pearl/pearl Slab Busters.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

Alot of guys use shorter rods, but I have a 5 1/2 and 71/2 footers that I really like. Both have extra fast tip action and allows me to shoot as far without having to pull bait as far to load it up. The nice thing about an extra fast 7 1/2 is that it's versatile for dipping in the slips as well.
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! I ended up only hooking myself twice today and actually got it down by the end of the day. Just a word of advice don't try shooting docks with a hernia really painfull!!! We did end up with 30 today so not to bad. Still got a lot to learn on that lake though. As for a rod I used a BnM Sharpshooter 5'5" and loved it. Looks as if I may end up getting another rod (like I need another one)!!!!
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sounds like you got it down

Another rod now why didn't I think of that......:D Man can't have to much equipment.......
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

Loomis makes a MagLite 5'10" rod with "extra fast" action. A little pricey, but the tip is really quick and shoots a long with without having to draw back the bait much. Very accurate since you don't end upwith the tip so far to the side and shoots a long way. Good luck.
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.