Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cormorants, problem or scapegoat?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cormorants, problem or scapegoat?

Responses from agencies indicate little impact on sport fish populations. Last time out watched flock of 100 or more through binoculars, and a few meandering pelicans, foraging on a flat in Truman. One web site said preferred forage is immature fish from 10-20 centimeters, if my calculation is correct that could be almost 8 inches. One thing for absolute certain, they don't feed just on shad. Some feel they signify a healthy fish population or they wouldn't be there. Some lake associations in the northern part of the country attribute poorer sport fishing to them but lots of differing opinions. Many bass fishermen in Texas will shoot them on sight even knowing they are a protected species. Lots of them on reservoirs now where we never saw any 30 years ago. Good sign or bad? Take someone smarter than me to know.

Post Thanks / Like

allright, this one will get me talking but i have worked with this bird in the past.
    first, Cormorants are not a problem, at least not in missouri. they may be munching down a few too many Alewives in the great lakes but even that isn't their fault. the pollution in those lakes has damaged the population of baitfish far more than this goofy looking bird.
    in missouri, most of what we see are double crested cormorants. they are pretty cool (i think). they can dive about 30 feet deep and stay under for a minute and a half. they do not have waterproof feathers, which might seem odd, but that adaptation allows them to dive faster since the feathers do not hold air bubbles. most diving birds can stay under much longer, like a loon, so the air bubbles are not a problem for them.
    these birds do not necessarily indicate a healthy fishery, but they are still a good sign. greater diversity in any habitat equals greater recreational activity for outdoorsmen and women.
    these birds were smashed hard by DDT in the 50-60's, and they are just now beginning to experience good population growth. this explains why you don't remember seeing them 30 years ago as that was the lowest their population had ever really been.
    people in texas will shoot anything. lots of birds eat fish, hell, lots of fish eat fish, this one isn't any major player for those of us in MO to worry about. is anyone worried about herons or bald eagles? also, for snake haters out there, cormorants like to eat water snakes!
    "We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect"
    -Aldo Leopold

Post Thanks / Like

I can't attest to how many fish they eat... I will say that they do damage the environment. Look at Grand Lake, Truman and Smithville where they roost. Those trees quickly die. They crap all over everything in the roost, and thus the tree dies. I know in the upper great lakes they are accused of depleting the smallmouth fishing drastically.

Post Thanks / Like

If their populations keep growing like they have the last few years I fear a big impact on our beloved Truman Lake. Ten years ago when I first wet a hook in Truman Lake, I saw very few of them. Now I see hundreds every time out. I'm catching a lot more crappie with puncture wounds, broken backs, and other types of damage also. We need to get a handle on them NOW in my opinion.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I hear they taste like chicken. Sorry but someone was bound to say it.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bwillaub View Post
    I'm catching a lot more crappie with puncture wounds, broken backs, and other types of damage also.
    Ditto, could be blue herons but they forage in couple feet or less so have a difficult time thinking that. Seeing that large group moving across the flat diving, back up, back down, etc.was pretty sobering.

Post Thanks / Like

I always fish arround the roost trees, lots of fertil water arround the trunks, brings in bait fish and the big fish follow, I have seen some lakes in arkansas coverd with them and the lake still produces and well, I think if we leave nature alone she will take care of her self, but now that I said that, if we mankind mess up the balance we must try to undue our mess OPEN SEASON

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beagle man View Post
    I always fish arround the roost trees, lots of fertil water arround the trunks, brings in bait fish and the big fish follow, I have seen some lakes in arkansas coverd with them and the lake still produces and well, I think if we leave nature alone she will take care of her self, but now that I said that, if we mankind mess up the balance we must try to undue our mess OPEN SEASON
    Well said Beagle!

Post Thanks / Like

Fryguy, very informative reading. I read that in Minnesota or Wisconsin or maybe it was the great lakes (forgive me I read it quite a while back) that the Dept of Conservation was destroying their nests because they actually WERE a problem. Beagle, very well said; Speck, the chicken comment was KILLER!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Now we can

get a mess of crappie and a mess of chicken all in the same day........:D
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast