Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coffeen Power Plant

Post Thanks / Like

Default Coffeen Power Plant

Has anyone fished Coffeen's reclaimation pool. I've been told the crappie fishing is great in the winter due to the warm water from the turbins being pumped back into the lake. A guy I worked with yesterday brought us some for lunch, they were the biggest filets i've ever seen. He said he caught them last Feb.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Coffeen Power Plant Lake

Izzy - Are you talking about Coffeen Lake in Illinois or do you also have one in Missouri?
    Ken

Wardy Guest

Winter time is great fishing at Coffeen and other local power plant lakes. The warm waters congregate the shad.... Continue to look for that "comfortable temp"...

Post Thanks / Like

izzysfishin, there is a coal power plant on the river where I use to live and the turbines pump warm water back into the river. Sometimes people have gone in there and caught anywhere from 50 to 100 measuring crappie in one day. They might be in there thick like that one day and then you might not catch anymore there for a while. Catfishing is good there and so is striper fishing. the fish love the current for feeding and the warm water.

Post Thanks / Like

The one in Ill. ken I was led to believe warm water was pumped back into the lake, maybe I was wrong. I do know those filets covered 3/4 of a paper plate, and mighty tasty too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieseeker
    izzysfishin, there is a coal power plant on the river where I use to live and the turbines pump warm water back into the river. Sometimes people have gone in there and caught anywhere from 50 to 100 measuring crappie in one day. They might be in there thick like that one day and then you might not catch anymore there for a while. Catfishing is good there and so is striper fishing. the fish love the current for feeding and the warm water.
    I've fished the discharge at Labadie Power Plant on the Missouri River for catfish. Not many crappie there, but have taken some pretty nice Blues and Flatheads, 30 to 40 lbs.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Coffeen Lake

The map of Coffeen Lake. If you look on the right hand side the arm of the lake coming up from the dam you'll note the warm water discharge. This is where the hot water from power plant is returned to the lake.

Most power plant lakes this area is good winter time fishing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Wardy Guest

Most crappie in this lake are on the north end in the brush and coontail. Also... it is a 25 hp max and will have restricted areas around the plant and for the waterfowl season. Alot of bass and bonus stripers. Check with Brad at the office...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info everyone, I'll give it a go this winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by izzysfishin
    Thanks for the info everyone, I'll give it a go this winter.

You might try fishing Thomas Hill, its north/west of Moberly, Missouri. It also is coal fired, and has a warm water arm. I have only fished it once, but know several people that fish it during the winter. Usually nothing to big but lots of fish are caught.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast