Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trolling Motor Battery Advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling Motor Battery Advice

I just bought a 14 foot canoe to fish some local creeks and small lakes.

I have a trolling motor. My question is what kind of battery should I get?

My problem is:
    I am 6'8 250 and the weight capacity on the canoe is 500 lbs. I also like to bring a buddy with me and that another 200lbs or so. Do I need a regular size battery to push a small canoe and is it possible to run it off a smaller battery (jet ski battery)? Also do I really need a deep cell battery? I would like to do this the most affordable way, at the same time I don't wanna spend my money foolishly. Any input and opinions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes you need a deep cell battery as a regular battery will not take the constant charge/discharge that it will get. A jet ski battery will work but not for very long. Just remember, the bigger the battery, the longer it will last while you are out fishing.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Mighty small boat for a big guy I'd put pontoons off the side for safety not trying to be funny

Post Thanks / Like

There is one battery that stands above the others and it is a Optima and yes they cost more, but last longer per charge and the life of that battery is much better than a regular deep cycle battery. They are not made the same so there is a reason they cost more and work longer and not need replacing as soon.
    Marine: Fishing: Find Your Optima

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a conoe and have the same issue. I use a regular deep cycle and monitor the weight. I extended the leads to put the battery in the center of the canoe ( helps with the balance)

Post Thanks / Like

i got a couple of optima batteries this spring and first time i have ever been happy with batteries, still have go after 8-10 hours on the water. and supposed to last a lot longer than normal deep cycle batteries. worth the extra expense

Post Thanks / Like

I use regular batteries. The trolling battery is large, as in off a tractor or road tractor. It was used when I got it three years ago, still going. Granted I'm not trolling against the wind for ten hours at a time, but I do troll a good bit with it a couple times a month or more depending on the time of year. Works fine.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Now a comment from the cheap seats. I use the cheaper style of marine batts from wally world.(not the yellow ones. mine were about $65) I save my reciept and trade em in every 2 yrs. The smallest of the regular sized batt will do a fine job for however long you choose. I've had several of the rig you're in when I was younger. The baby batts didn't do it for me. power worked for the trip but mine didn't last but a year and went flat pretty quick.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around