Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Finding Brushpiles

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finding Brushpiles

What's the best way to find brushpiles without a sidescan sonar? I'm on Lake wylie and it's a bunch of water to try to zig zag around to find em.

Is there a public map or is that info available? I even tried to find the fish attractor that's on teh wylie map...found the spot but not the attracter..

thanks in advance... going out saturday afternoon hopefully (chores in the morning).
    Jer
    "Our greatest happiness does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of a good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits." - Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pomoxis View Post
    What's the best way to find brushpiles without a sidescan sonar? I'm on Lake wylie and it's a bunch of water to try to zig zag around to find em.

Is there a public map or is that info available? I even tried to find the fish attractor that's on teh wylie map...found the spot but not the attracter..

thanks in advance... going out saturday afternoon hopefully (chores in the morning).
    Jer
    I use a HB FF

I work a logical search grid....
    -----------C---->---------------V

V----------C----<-----B----------

-----S------C---->--------------V

V-------L-----C--<---------------

----> / <----- Dircetion of movement
    V= Shift down to lnext seach lane.
    C= Creek/channel
    B= Brush
    S= Stumps
    L= Log

Set a waypoint at each structure and and then I can go back post grid and check them out in more detail.
    Last edited by Chasing Ghosts; 10-07-2009 at 11:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my suggestion on what you need to do:

If you have a GPS device that will read Navionics maps, get the Navionics HotMaps Premium card for your unit. Ask around to get a general idea of areas where they consistently catch crappie to narrow your search area. Then, go to the areas that are likely to have fish and use the map to follow the contour lines around 20 feet deep. You should find cover that will hold fish. Look really good around points and humps. It is amazing how often you will find sunken cover in these areas.

This is how I found cover at Kerr for years. I found about 100 places over that period. Then I bought a side imaging unit and was able to find 200 more places in a couple of days of hunting.

A paper map will also work to point you to the right areas and depths to search but it is more time comsuming to do it this way.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

You should be able to purchase a map with structure icons along with culverts and cemetaries, old foundations and such at your local Walmart. Maybe check with your local bait shop for maps of the lake you plan on fishing.I have been building my own structure and going back to fish it, Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

Place some of your own in there and mark them with your gps.

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

Spend a LOT OF TIME on the water,looking for brush, not fishing, That's what I did.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Countryboy N.C. View Post
    Spend a LOT OF TIME on the water,looking for brush, not fishing, That's what I did.
    Lord knows it pays off for ya too:D

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Try drift fishing too

Put a line down a foot above bottom and another up high and drift an area with the wind. On the deep rod, loosen up your drag, so if you get a hit, it will make it click or noise. If you get a snag a foot above bottom, it's usually a stump or brushpile. Dont break the line. Troll or motor back above the snag and take a look at whats down there. Drop a marker and fish it or come back later and fish it. This technique worked very well for me when i first started fishing Ky lake back in the 80's when i didn't have the type of electronics we have today. Still works. If you dont have all the do-dad electronics, this is the method to use. Fish and hunt at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same delima.

Althoug my lake doesnt have any topographical maps. The map I have is basically an outline of the shore with very little information. Couple of spots have depths. listed and the ramp is marked. That' it. No contour lines, no strucutre, or anything. Its an old strip mine filled with water. Max depth is about 65 feet with sheer vertical drop offs.

The fisrt time out on the lake I fired up the outboard, and turned on my sonar unit. I did a couple of passes around the lake. If I found a structure I stopped and checked it out. I paid close attention to where others were fishing and when htey left I went and checked them out. I tried Google and a few other web sources. No more detail than the map I had.

Now I fish a little, cruise around a little and search. I have sheared my prop pin numerous times. Been in weeds so thick they killed the motor, and jammed up my trolling motor. It was a chore to get through with my paddle.

It all comes down to the same thing, spending time on the water. Oc coarse my wife thinks I dont know how to fish, and in some regards she is correct. Finding the fish is part of fishing. If we could catch fish every time we dropped a line in the water it would be called a sport.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!