Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fall fishing @ Watts Bar ...

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fall fishing @ Watts Bar ...

is just getting started. My fishing buddy, Paul, and I took our friend, Patrick, to do some Crappie fishing at Watts Bar. Thanks to the tips and advice from Don G, & Don York, we managed to catch some nice fish. Most fish came from the shaded sections of docks, in depths of 12-21ft. Many others came from some flats with brush, in depths of 7-15ft. Most fish were in the 10-12" size range ... indicating that the bigger fish have not yet moved in, but with cooler weather, they should be coming into the shallower depths in the next couple of weeks.
    Watts Bar is still at full pool, and water surface temps are still in the mid 70's. The lake is relatively clear (2-4ft visability).
    The tools of choice were Panfish Assassins, in various colors, and Roadrunners in solid Chartreuse. CB's Hawgsauce Dye/garlic scent, and Dip-it Dye in Chartreuse/garlic scent were also used, with good results.
    The lake is full of schools of Shad, that are starting to move into the coves. We noticed many of the schools were hanging around the shaded sections of the front portions of deep water docks. They were still pretty small in size ... probably not over 2.5 inches long. Many schools of Brook Silversides were also noticed in the vicinity. We accredit the success, of the Panfish Assassins, to the fact of these small baitfish being in the area.
    I got to give my Duckworth FnF rod, a good field trial on these fish. And, though they weren't Slabzillas, the rod proved to be very versatile in use. I used it to cast 1/32-1/16oz jigs & Roadrunners, and even shot docks with it. And even though a lot of the bites were the slightest of pecks ... I felt even the lightest of those taps.
    We didn't do as well, in numbers, as Don G/Blackie/Killer & co. ... but, we were fishing some heavily "used" waters (post tourney).... LOL!! We ran into Kokomo Bob & Zenna, who were doing some damage on the Crappie population. fishing with minnows around the deep water docks. Congrats to them on a 2nd place finish in the $$$ Brawl tourney. And congrats to Killer Ken Palmer and partner, for the win.
    Here's a sample of our daily catch :

And a shot of those thick little rascals about to undergo a filletectomy http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42...cknose0002.jpg

Here's a Blacknose Crappie, one of two that we happened upon - http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42...eaning0003.jpg

All in all it was a nice trip, and fairly productive. I'm hoping to be back in a couple of weeks, and maybe get into the larger fish. Killer ... I'll be in touch on this next trip, and take you up on your offer :D ......... cp

Post Thanks / Like

nice mess of fish...
    Kelly Matthews
    Weiss Lake Guide Service
    www.weisslakeguideservices.com

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the email CP...The trip proved successful and the pictures are great...Blackie & I are planning to go back next week and we willl fill you in on how we do.

Tell Paul hello:
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day