Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Winter motor freezing question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Winter motor freezing question

I have an I/O on my boat. As temperatures get down to freezing what's the simplest way without a garage to keep your motor/upper/lower unit from freezing without flushing with anti freeze every time you go fishing? Just seems like a lot of wasted anti freeze but it's cheaper than ruining the motor... new boat owner so I'm learning..

Thanks in advance.. I hope to go fishing as long as I can since I don't get to go often..
    "Our greatest happiness does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of a good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits." - Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

Default What? Freezing in SC????

Didn't know that happens down there that often. Shows what us from the frozen tundra know, huh?

If it's gonna be that cold for more than a night or two how about some sort of heat lamp in the engine compartment?

Up here when it's cold, it's cold. Boat is done for season.

UD

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

If the seals in your outdrive are good, there should be no freezing problems. Keep your outdrive in the down position while sitting. If the seals are bad and water has gotten into the outdrive unit, you risk the casing break due to expansion. Check your outdrive oil to make sure there is no water in it or if if it is milky looking. With milky oil or water in the outdutdrive, get it to a repair shop before you ruin your outdrive.
    I take it your engine is raw water cooled versus a closed cooling system. My 4 cylinder Mercruiser was raw water cooled. It had a plug on the engine block, and one on the exhaust manifold for draining. It was a simple step for me to just pull the plugs and let the water drain to the bilge when I got it on the trailer. No worry about freezing then. Heaters and such are dependant on an electric source, if you have a power failure or pop a breaker, the damage could be done before you realize it.
    If you do choose to use antifreeze, make sure it's the non toxic RV antifreeze

Post Thanks / Like

Basically only two ways...either all the water has to come out, or anti-freeze has to be introduced. Unless each water jacket in the block has it's own drain, it can't be done properly.

Gman
    We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

You should not have any problems here in S.C. with your motor freezing. Myself, bowman, beagler, fisher, jiggs and Carl fish all winter and we have not had any trouble with our motor freezing. I'm close to the Ga. line but up where you are you have a lot of other S.C. and N.C. guys that fish all winter also.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Yadkin Guide is offline Crappie Wall Hanger * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A simple suggestion:

I don't think you will have much trouble in South Carolina. If you want to make sure I suggest you keep the boat covered with a dark cover. Fully wrap the engine area and the drain areas. The dark cover will heat the boat during the day and stay above freezing all night. The only problem times would be days it snows which is not common in your area. A good protective dark cover will handle it well. Storing the boat where the wind is shielded from the motor area if possible would also help.

Yadkin Guide

Post Thanks / Like

If you leave your motor down long enough for the water to drain out, you will be okay. It's gotten as cold as -10 degrees here, and I didn't have any trouble, and I've never put antifreeze in an outboard.

I have heard of some folks with frozen motors who tilt their motors up as soon as they beach the boat or put it on a trailer. That does not allow the water to drain out.

Also, as mentioned above you need to check the fluid in the lower unit at least twice a year to make sure no water is there. I normally check mine in the fall and the spring.

Post Thanks / Like

Outstanding, I'm a new boater so I need to figure out how to check the oil and drain water. I do see brass fittings on the block that are probably for the water jacket, however, I put the lower down today and had water drain out sooooo..I'll be putting the lower down when I get home from now on.

I can easly cover the lower and have a boat cover that keeps the motor covered.

I gotta learn to launch/recover the boat by myself...
    "Our greatest happiness does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of a good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits." - Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Arlington(Memphis). I have had a I/O freeze and bust the block twice on two different boats. My advice is to buy a manual for your engine and locate the drain plugs for your block. It is kind of a pain to do for day to day use. It is way easier to use anti-freeze but it is more costly. Your engine should also have freeze plugs but do not depend on them solely both mine had them when their blocks cracked.