Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Possible fishing contest for SC lake wylie area.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Possible fishing contest for SC lake wylie area.

What do you folks think about a crappython or such up around Lake Wylie in SC/NC? what time of year? maybe twice a year? what months/dates?

Mentioned it some brothers tonight and it was mentioned that we need alot more information and such..

ty in advance
    Jerry
    "Our greatest happiness does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of a good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits." - Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

wow..I expected some discussion..this is a surprise.
    "Our greatest happiness does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of a good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits." - Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

Not trying to be rude but run your post on the South Carolina board and you will get some comments.

Post Thanks / Like

The reason I ran it here was that we're close to NC/GA/TN/VA depending on how far folks want to travel. As a result I wasnt' sure where to post.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Pomoxis ...

Quote Originally Posted by Pomoxis View Post
    What do you folks think about a crappython or such up around Lake Wylie in SC/NC? what time of year? maybe twice a year? what months/dates?
    Mentioned it some brothers tonight and it was mentioned that we need alot more information and such..
    ty in advance
    Jerry
    I helped run a tournament series at Watts Bar Lake (E Tenn) for 5yrs ... we had one in Spring (different dates from late March to early May) and one in Fall (usually mid Oct) ... we had a no $$ entry fee / no $$ payout setup (to discourage cheating) ... we solicited prizes from many of the members & Sponsors of this site, as well as other businesses (local & national), and made up prize packages for as many of the teams as possible.

You will need a set of rules, elected officers to run things/enforce the rules/ weigh in the fish, and you'll need a set of scales for the weigh-in. You'll also need someone to send a note of thanks to the Sponsors that provide the prizes (we tried to get the participating anglers to do this, but that didn't work out too well :p ).

We had a Fish Fry Social, on the day following the tourney. Volunteers cleaned the fish & cooked the catch ... participating anglers & guests were also encouraged to bring some side dishes. We did charge a small fee for the fish fry ... but, that can be avoided if enough people volunteer to bring the necessary equipment (cookers/oil/plates/utensils/etc).

Look over this post for some ideas on potential sponsors, rules & entry form setup : 2005 SPRING FLING CRAPPIE TOURNAMENT - WATTS BAR - Fishing Discussion Board Forum Fishin.com

I think our smallest turnout was around 8-10 teams ... and our largest was around 35 teams. I can't guarantee that this format will work, or that any of these "sponsors" will be interested in providing prizes ... but, it worked before And, if you go the "prizes only" route, you'll be contacting (at least) 4 times the number of members/businesses than you'll actually get anything from. You'll have to have a address for them to ship their donations to (we used the marina's address, where the tourney took place), so that it doesn't appear that you're scamming them out of their products for your own benefit :D

We took pics of the weigh-in, prize give-out, big fish/fishes, etc ... and posted them here. We made up a big poster sign, with the tourney's name & a sponsor listing, and used that as a backdrop for some of the pics (esp 1st/2nd/3rd place teams). We did whatever we could to legitimize the tourney, and show support for the Sponsors/donators.

You can probably still find some of those posts, by doing a search for : "Spring Fling" ... or ... "Fall Brawl" -- and looking for posts that were generated by me.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

great start, ty sir