Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Underwater camera?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Underwater camera?

Anybody use or know much about these? Been thinking of the possiblities after reading a rencet article in Crappie mag. I think it would eliminate alot of undproductive water and also help understand the graph with leaps and bounds. Wife was asking the other day about Christmas gift ideas, considering this!

Cabela's -- Search Simple Product
    Last edited by Locator79; 10-05-2009 at 03:52 PM.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

They work pretty good in clear water and if its a little stained the worst thing is seeing them and them not wonting to bite I use mine around boat docks to see whats there before i fish them.Good luck.
    James & April Linderman

Vicious Tournament Team Members
    Southern Pro Pro Staff
    HI-Tek Rod Holders

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

cant see in bright sun took it back
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I have one, but I quit using it after I got my SI unit. They can be very helpful if you make time to really work with them. It is fun to watch yourself catch a fish. It can also help you learn to use a jig, at least in vertical mode, kinda like teasing a cat one more time that is bored with the game.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the picture clear enough to see and identify structure? Will I be able to see actual fish, and if so, how far from the camera will I be able to see? I have lots of spots I would like to drop a buoy, and see just whats down there.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I use my camera to mostly locate brush or other things that I get hung up on:o While dropping down through the water you will think it is not working but once you are on bottom you will start seeing thing. They say you can see around 20' but it's more like 8' I thought I would be able to pull up to brush and see what was using it but you can't, you have to work the camera around the brush or tree tops. I don't use it while fishing now, just for scouting.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Locator79 View Post
    Is the picture clear enough to see and identify structure? Will I be able to see actual fish, and if so, how far from the camera will I be able to see? I have lots of spots I would like to drop a buoy, and see just whats down there.
    I'll let you be teh judge.
    YouTube - Ice fishing underwater camera

Not my video.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have used an underwater camera for a few years now and I found that any monitor is very hard to see so I started hooking up to the video input on my sony handycam and found the viewfinder much better.
    Like what was already said you have to be creative in stained water. Anything more than 20 feet and you again have visibility problems…the camera light will not extend very far.
    I have a number of underwater videos on youtube….search videos by siscoken. I would put the links here but I keep forgetting how to do that and I am busy getting ready to go moose hunting.
    Also I found that when you have a camera in the boat you don’t seem to do much fishing.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

I saw this article too and was wondering how well it would work in the stained waters of the south. Generally speaking in my area you can only see about 3 feet down in the water in most cases. I think it would be a pretty interesting piece of gear if usable in this kinda water as it would be nice to get another perspective and see a little more detail than what the depth finder is showing me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by siscoken View Post
    I have used an underwater camera for a few years now and I found that any monitor is very hard to see so I started hooking up to the video input on my sony handycam and found the viewfinder much better.
    Like what was already said you have to be creative in stained water. Anything more than 20 feet and you again have visibility problems…the camera light will not extend very far.
    I have a number of underwater videos on youtube….search videos by siscoken. I would put the links here but I keep forgetting how to do that and I am busy getting ready to go moose hunting.
    Also I found that when you have a camera in the boat you don’t seem to do much fishing.

Ken
    Thats very cool, exactly what I wanted to know. Looks like I need to add that to my arsenal. Would be good to take a day and spend checking out spots on the lake. The water I fish is pretty murky, usually can only see a couple feet down, thats my only concern! Thanks to all for the advice!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast