Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: bloody fillets?

Post Thanks / Like

Default bloody fillets?

for some reason when i fillet crappie this fall they are bleeding like crazy.didnt do this in the spring .is there a reason for this

Post Thanks / Like

Are the crappie on ice before you fillet them?

PB Wht. Crappie 2.48 lbs 02-12-2011

Post Thanks / Like

no ive not been puttting them on ice.and they are still alive when i start filleting them. i guess i should be icing them down and letting them expire huh

Post Thanks / Like

Throw them in a bowl of milk or salt water, takes it right out. As far as why, I can't be of much help.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Are you double washing them?

After you fillet them up toss them in a bowl of clean cold water, once they are all filleted, rinse again in another bowl of fresh clean cold water. That pretty well cleans them up.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bleed them out

I followed the lead of an 80 year old man i took fishing last fall. He slits the throat at the gills and puts them in a bucket of water. Do this while they are alive so they pump all the blood from their body. You'll see the diffrence when you clean them. No bloody mess on the board and the fillets are clean and white. I have a picture of some i did today. I use kitchen sheers to slice them. Make sure you cut the gills when you slice them. AND be sure to hold them down in the bucket when you do them so you dont get blood splattered on you or the boat.
    Last edited by chaunc; 10-06-2009 at 08:28 AM.

Kyle Schoenherr is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always put um on ice before I clean fish and they never bleed after that. It seems like they fillet alot better after being on ice and the fillet has a different texture.

www.AllSeasonsCrappieFishing.com - 2x National Champion
    B'n'M Pro Staff - Road Runner Pro Staff - Lowrance Pro Staff - Tru Turn Pro Staff
    Harvest Clean Pro Staff - Midsouth Pro Staff - Titelok Pro Staff - Engels Pro Staff
    CrappieNow - Rend Lake Resort - Kinkaid Sportsman Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xpress View Post
    I've always put um on ice before I clean fish and they never bleed after that. It seems like they fillet alot better after being on ice and the fillet has a different texture.
    Icing them cause the crappie's system to try and conserve heat in their core... vaso-constricting the blood vessels in the flesh and most of the blood goes into the crappie's vitals.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure as to why they bleed, but when i have bloody fillets, dont matter what kind of fish it is, what i do is to fillet the fish, put them in a large bowl, and then take your garden hose with a sprayer on it, have the sprayer on full blast, and stick the sprayer into the bowl. Do this a couple of times, and fillets come out nice and clean.

P.S. do this outside so the boss dont get mad.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Mike View Post
    Not sure as to why they bleed, but when i have bloody fillets, dont matter what kind of fish it is, what i do is to fillet the fish, put them in a large bowl, and then take your garden hose with a sprayer on it, have the sprayer on full blast, and stick the sprayer into the bowl. Do this a couple of times, and fillets come out nice and clean.

P.S. do this outside so the boss dont get mad.
    Mike, bleed them out like i showed and you wont have to wash blood off the fillets. Just give this a try and you'll be surprised at how clean the fillets will be. If i get out this afternoon, and catch some fish, i'll post pictures of the two diffrent fillets.