PDA

View Full Version : A surprisingly smart tactic

jaysonelmhurst
10-05-2009, 09:03 AM
Maybe some of you do this, but I wasn't smart enough to think about it.

This guy has the technique laid out in steps. I can't see how this won't work.

No need to watch the video or signup for anything.

I was very surprised. Anyone doing something smilar?

FREE Crappie Fishing Trick #1: The Secret Crappie Spy Tactic For "Auto Targeting" Fish! (http://www.crappiefishingtricks.com/reports/1-crappie-spy_new.html)

CrappiePappy
10-05-2009, 10:41 AM
Maybe some of you do this, but I wasn't smart enough to think about it.
This guy has the technique laid out in steps. I can't see how this won't work.
No need to watch the video or signup for anything.
I was very surprised. Anyone doing something smilar?
FREE Crappie Fishing Trick #1: The Secret Crappie Spy Tactic For "Auto Targeting" Fish! (http://www.crappiefishingtricks.com/reports/1-crappie-spy_new.html)

... I don't think many Crappie.com members use this method. We've discussed it before .... using balloons, floats, jugs, etc. General concensus was that it was "unsportsmanlike", and in many states probably even illegal.
In fact, one member did try it (several times, if memory serves me) ... and it failed miserably. The fish did not re-join the school, but rather headed into the nearest cover and tangled the line.

And, this "Dan" person also mentions using WD-40 as a fish attractant ... which has also been discussed (several times). General concensus on that is ... since WD-40 is a solvent, and a petroleum based product, it's polluting our waters if used in this way. Even the parent company of WD-40 does not recommend using it for this purpose.

This fellow "Dan" has websites (Spamfomercials) all over the place ... hawking his $197 Old School Crappie Fishing Family Secrets. This $197 "DEAL" is supposed to be for a limited time ... but, check back in a year and it's still on (he's just moved the date time limit forward). I know, because we've already discussed his supposed "deal/secrets", back some time ago :D
The general concensus on this "deal" ... probably nothing you won't learn right here, for free. ;)

... cp :cool:

jaxsprat
10-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Me thinks crappiepappy said it all, lots better than I could:D
I would like to Second his statement;)

"G"
10-05-2009, 11:24 AM
Me thinks crappiepappy said it all, lots better than I could:D
I would like to Second his statement;)

AMEN! :)

Ranger690
10-05-2009, 12:46 PM
How about a solvent resistant balloon filled with WD-40? Eh? Or jug fishing with marker bouys. Looks like you have half-dozen spots marked until they bob and start to swim away. Chasing them is great fun. An 8 pound striper has no troulbe pulling under an empty 20oz water bottle. Then when he pops back up the chase is on again.

Beside, the biggest most well-kept secret is still available online. So super secret, no body will talk. You even have to do it at night. Makes others Green with envy until they too see the light!

Dayton

skiptomylu
10-05-2009, 02:47 PM
crappiepappy is right on and I doubt any of these guys selling info/secretes etc. are so full of nothing but wind. They are depending on the old saying "people will buy anything" and lots will.

However I am not buying any of this foolishness!

Skip

crappyman
10-05-2009, 06:59 PM
This "Dan" guy as you can tell is not on here(crappie.com), giving out advice. So I wonder how much he really cares about showing us how to catch crappie. I would bet he's in it for the cash only. I would advise people to be careful with this guy. Anyone that would employ the Balloon technique is not much of a fisherman in my book. You notice how he doesn't give out any information in his commercials. Most people will share a lot of the info. in their commercials knowing that they have a lot more material in the DVD's.
Now Russ Bailey is a class act. Great guy who not only puts out some great material but he has also offered free advice to me personally. That tells me he is in it for the right reasons. He even sent me some small bobbers once. at no cost to me. I would tell Dan to get on board and take some lessons from Russ.

jaysonelmhurst
10-06-2009, 01:20 AM
Wow, I had no idea. I'm more on the beginner side I guess, and just looking for some good tactics I can integrate into the basics I already know.

It seemed like sound advice to help find them. If the guy is a jerk, he's a jerk, I don't know him. I'm more interested in finding some info to help me, and this board is GREAT!

But always looking from other areas too. Maybe it will be best for me to just run some more techniques by you guys without giving you the source and create a bunch of hubub.

Sorry for the trouble! And thanks for the comments...still learning.

Jayson

moswampy
10-06-2009, 07:41 AM
jayson there is no secret that can replace time on the water. Even when you catch NO FISH you should take something away from that experience. That to me is the biggest secret known to any fisherman.

CrappiePappy
10-06-2009, 07:50 AM
Wow, I had no idea. I'm more on the beginner side I guess, and just looking for some good tactics I can integrate into the basics I already know.
It seemed like sound advice to help find them. If the guy is a jerk, he's a jerk, I don't know him. I'm more interested in finding some info to help me, and this board is GREAT!
But always looking from other areas too. Maybe it will be best for me to just run some more techniques by you guys without giving you the source and create a bunch of hubub.
Jayson

Not necessary to apologize for asking ... ;)

Alot of these Spamfomercials are aimed towards those on the "beginner side" ... biggest difference between us & them, is we don't charge for our secrets/opinions/tactics :D

And it would probably be better to give the source, so that we could research the info for ourselves ... before debunking it, or agreeing with it.

skiptomylu
10-06-2009, 09:40 AM

Jayson

Don't worry about it at all, but before you employ some things he has maybe you should look at the articles on this web site as there are a good many.
Crappie.com - Crappie Fishing Information and Adventure - Articles (http://crappie.com/content/category/1/16/2/)

Then just ask questions on this board and wait for replies to help you know more.

Skip

popperonahead
10-06-2009, 09:45 AM
folks put wd40 on their minn kota trolling motor shafts to make them deploy easier. guess where the shaft ends up? yes, in the water. people use reel magic on their reels and fishing line. guess where the line ends up? yup, in the water and reel magic ain't much more than wd40. both are petroleum based solvents.

a little wd40 aint gonna hurt the water too much. certainly ain't gonna hurt it any more that what grease/oil/gas spews from those old outboard mercs and rudes throwing rooster tails on the lake.

my 2 cents worth at least.

Cane Pole
10-06-2009, 09:58 AM
Thin film of WD40 on the lake makes my boat run faster.;)

popperonahead
10-06-2009, 10:04 AM
don't forget the boat wax as well for you fiberglass guys. lots of stuff we use might not be great for the water but ain't seen anyone grow a third eye or extra fingers from eating crappie fillets yet.

Eager Beaver
10-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Jayson, there is no need to use questionable tactics in your hunt for the sometimes elusive target. Be it Crappie, Bass, or Walleye. Some of the tactics are illegal in some States for a reason. That is the same as poaching in my book. I know of several popular and high profile pro's that cheated to win in Tournements. If you want to catch more Crappie or any species of fish then do your homework and learn their habits and habitats. Study them whenever you can and perfect your casting ability. Knowledge is power when it comes to fishing. Time on the water is one of the best teachers there is. There is all kinds of ways that you can use when fishing. Look at the banks running down to the water and just follow that line out in the water and you will know how deep the water is along the bank. Sharp bank means there is a drop off close to the bank. Look for lay downs out in the water. When I find a brush or tree pile out in the lake I will use triangulation to locate the spot again. My best spots, I use it to get close and then use the depth finder to pin point the pile. This is the best place to get your guestions answered. Just let us know where you are from and what lakes you are fishing and help is just one question away. EB

Wiskers
10-06-2009, 10:34 AM
folks put wd40 on their minn kota trolling motor shafts to make them deploy easier. guess where the shaft ends up? yes, in the water. people use reel magic on their reels and fishing line. guess where the line ends up? yup, in the water and reel magic ain't much more than wd40. both are petroleum based solvents.

a little wd40 aint gonna hurt the water too much. certainly ain't gonna hurt it any more that what grease/oil/gas spews from those old outboard mercs and rudes throwing rooster tails on the lake.

my 2 cents worth at least.

All it takes is the wrong person seeing you use it.

Being a Towboat Pilot I deal with this issue on a regular basis.

The EPA & USCG define a spill as the release of any substance into the water that...

•Violates applicable water quality standards;
•Causes a film or “sheen” upon, or discoloration of the surface of the water or adjoining shorelines; or
•Causes a sludge or emulsion to be deposited beneath the surface of the water or ajoining shoreline.

There are fines and penalties associated with accidental spills and they are compounded when the release is intentional.

I have seen fines handed out for what would be considered less than a teaspoon full of fuel. If they wanta be fannies about it they got ya. The deeper your pockets the bigger the fine.

To you & I it might not seem like much but to a Gov. agency needing money it's a way to generate revenue.

popperonahead
10-06-2009, 10:52 AM
All it takes is the wrong person seeing you use it.

Being a Towboat Pilot I deal with this issue on a regular basis.

The EPA & USCG define a spill as the release of any substance into the water that...

•Violates applicable water quality standards;
•Causes a film or “sheen” upon, or discoloration of the surface of the water or adjoining shorelines; or
•Causes a sludge or emulsion to be deposited beneath the surface of the water or ajoining shoreline.

There are fines and penalties associated with accidental spills and they are compounded when the release is intentional.

I have seen fines handed out for what would be considered less than a teaspoon full of fuel. If they wanta be fannies about it they got ya. The deeper your pockets the bigger the fine.

To you & I it might not seem like much but to a Gov. agency needing money it's a way to generate revenue.

excellent points wisker

Wiskers
10-06-2009, 10:57 AM
I'm guilty & have use WD40 for catfish. :D

gabowman
10-06-2009, 11:36 AM
I opened some of "Dans" tactics looooong time ago and the junk mail has almost stopped....finally. All he's about is selling a green light for @ $200. I did open his mail at work though...thank God I gave it a minute's thought and did that right anyway.:rolleyes: (I can block him at work.) Dont fall for it guys. You'd wished you hadnt....is all I can say.:rolleyes:

crappiefarmer
10-06-2009, 08:17 PM
I will say that getting wd40 in the water is not good for the water but I will also say that it will film up on the top of the water and the sun will break it down. It goes away. In other words, It probably won't hurt anything using it to lubricate a trolling motor shaft or even using it as an attractant. Dumping it in in bucket loads would not be good definitely. When there is a bad diesel spill on the ground, the contaminated dirt is dug up and carried to another location or field and is spread out real thin across the ground. Over the course of a few months, the sun will break the diesel down to the point where plants have no problem growing in the soil. That sun does some wonderful things that alot of folks don't even realize. I ain't saying go start spraying the lakes with wd40. I would not want to eat a fish that I caught using it. just don't feel safe doing that. The answer to pollution is dilution. CF

jaysonelmhurst
10-07-2009, 09:05 AM
Thanks for all the great advice guys. This "Dan" guy sent me another something to try. I'm wondering if the tactic is questionable too?

Basically you take a minnow and clip part of it's tail fin with nail clippers. (Just a notch out of the lower portion of the fin)

Use a bobber and a split shot and drop it down.

Then you take another rod, if legal, and he says to rig a small jig, spinner, or crankbait. You throw it out and reel it in slowly towards the minnow on the other one.

The idea is it looks like a rival fish going for the minnow and creates a bite situation.

Is there any merit in this? Seems interesting.

Jayson

Eager Beaver
10-07-2009, 09:56 AM
I would say the umbrela(sp) rig holds more merit than this does. These are just gimmicks that they are trying to sell. I always say knowledge is your best tool. Ask questions, find someone that will let you fish with them and learn from them. Knowledge and time on the water is the best teachers you can have. jmo EB

popperonahead
10-07-2009, 10:46 AM
I would say the umbrela(sp) rig holds more merit than this does. These are just gimmicks that they are trying to sell. I always say knowledge is your best tool. Ask questions, find someone that will let you fish with them and learn from them. Knowledge and time on the water is the best teachers you can have. jmo EB

that or a stick of dynamite. :D

CrappiePappy
10-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Thanks for all the great advice guys. This "Dan" guy sent me another something to try. I'm wondering if the tactic is questionable too?
Basically you take a minnow and clip part of it's tail fin with nail clippers. (Just a notch out of the lower portion of the fin)
Use a bobber and a split shot and drop it down.
Then you take another rod, if legal, and he says to rig a small jig, spinner, or crankbait. You throw it out and reel it in slowly towards the minnow on the other one.
The idea is it looks like a rival fish going for the minnow and creates a bite situation.
Is there any merit in this? Seems interesting.
Jayson

... if there's any real method to that madness :p ... but, I have heard of clipping the tail fins off a minner (just not for that reason or technique). Essentially, clipping the tail fins off will allow the minner to wiggle ... but, not really swim forward. This may be beneficial if/when you want the minner to struggle, but not be able to move any distance .... such as when you have your minner placed very close to dense cover ;)

To do the "technique" described by "Dan" ... there doesn't seem to be any real reason for clipping part of the tail fin of the minnow. There is, however, some people that believe that they draw fish away from a spot, when casting to it ... followers, that may or may not bite the object being thrown. The minnow rig, at the end of the retrieve, is just another temptation for the fish to come into contact with (if, in fact, they do follow your lure back to you .. but, are just curious & ain't interested enough to grab it). Even so, I don't think clipping the tail of the minnow is specifically necessary ... and may just be added for effect (or just to give the impression that it's a "special secret", that works better than a regular, unclipped minnow).

I have little doubt that "any" of these "old timer secrets", are pure bunk :eek: and I'm sure that the people that told them, did catch fish using them. Whether or not these "secrets" are worth paying big $$ for .... I have serious doubts :D

BamaMan
10-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Just think about it like this. If this guys fishing system worked. He would be fishing in every crappie tournament around and winning all of them. He would not need to sale these fishing secrets to make money. He would be a fishing guide,selling lures, rods ect... promoting sponsored items and raking in the money that way. This guy is a fake he probably don't even fish. A true fisherman would never sale tactics like this. You can learn a boat load of good fishing information from the good people here at crappie.com.
All you have to do is start reading.There is a good book called The Crappie Book Basics and Beyond By Keith Sutton that's real good reading. Check your local library for books and DVD and VHS tapes. Good luck hope you get on them next time!

Fishtaco
10-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Thin film of WD40 on the lake makes my boat run faster.;)

I use this same technique when my chain is making my troll or drift a bit too slow. If its really bad, I use some on my chains.:D

jaysonelmhurst
10-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Thanks again guys... I heard someone else talk about taking a jar, poking holes in the lid, and putting some minnows in there... then suspending the whole thing under the water.

I guess the crappie see it as a tight little group of minnows and come to check it out.

Anyone tried that? I'm goign to give it a whirl this weekend, see if it brings some to me.

Jayson

mikeb
10-09-2009, 12:19 PM
jayson there is no secret that can replace time on the water. Even when you catch NO FISH you should take something away from that experience. That to me is the biggest secret known to any fisherman.

WHat Mo said,,,Wel said Mo!!
Ya can't bet the time on the water!!
mikeb

crappiewisdom
10-09-2009, 12:20 PM

If that's the case, I've learned plenty this year.:)

feelay
10-09-2009, 01:52 PM
Thanks again guys... I heard someone else talk about taking a jar, poking holes in the lid, and putting some minnows in there... then suspending the whole thing under the water.

I guess the crappie see it as a tight little group of minnows and come to check it out.

Anyone tried that? I'm goign to give it a whirl this weekend, see if it brings some to me.

Jayson

This is also illegal in some states. Check your regulations.

CrappiePappy
10-09-2009, 09:19 PM
This is also illegal in some states. Check your regulations.

In some states, minnows are illegal. In some states, even though minnows are legal, baiting a spot isn't ... and using a jar full of minnows "could" be considered "baiting".

If it is legal ... it could work, IF there are Crappie around (it obviously has worked in the past, or it probably wouldn't be a passed down "secret" :p )