Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Circle Hooks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Circle Hooks

Has anyone had any experience using circle hooks....specifically the Daiichi Bleeding Bait hooks?. I've considering buying some to try, but the smallest I've found is in #1 size. To me, this is too big. This all comes about because lately I've been missing too many slabs on conventional hooks. I use circles for catfish at Santee Cooper and they work great. Help me out.....

Thanks

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never used a circle hook but when fishing with just a minnow I use #1 aberdeen hooks. No problem, in fact I believe I get more hook ups with them. Even the little taters will get caught.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with IBNFSHN, thats what I use, if not jig fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with them! Not sure a crappie would "pull" enough to hook himself and I have not been able to "set" a circle hook easy enough to allow the circle to work. Circle hooks work great when the fish pulls enough to allow the hook to turn but crappie are usually such light biters that I think they would drop it before it turned. Just my 2cents. Might try the MR. Crappie hooks that roll. I have had great luck with them at night this summer.
    2008 Buggs Bash Champ! SML Dock Shooting King!

Post Thanks / Like

A Couple Of Years Ago I Bought Some Small Circle Hooks On Closeout
    At Walmart. Don't Remember What Size They Were, But They Were Small.
    I Used Them In The Spring Nightstalking And The Crappie Were Biting
    Real Light. Hooks Didn't Work At All. I Missed A Lot Of Fish Before
    I Changed Hooks, And Started Catching Crappie. I Never Used Them After
    That, But They Might Work When The Crappie Are Biting More Aggressively.
    On A Soft Bite, They Didn't Work For Me.
    Chef

Post Thanks / Like

My one and only fish caught on a circle hook, tightlining minnows for
    Spotted Bass (don't ask :rolleyes: ) I just couldn't resist the urge to
    set the hook - gut hooked him right in the throat - what they are not
    supposed to do - agreed, you're not supposed to snap the rod back either.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aero
    Has anyone had any experience using circle hooks....specifically the Daiichi Bleeding Bait hooks?. I've considering buying some to try, but the smallest I've found is in #1 size. To me, this is too big. This all comes about because lately I've been missing too many slabs on conventional hooks. I use circles for catfish at Santee Cooper and they work great. Help me out.....

Thanks
    Love them circles and Gamakatsu makes them small so look at Bass Pro for size to #8. See link!

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I like tru-turn hooks for minnows and crickets. I haven't tried the circle hooks, but I can't see giving up the tru-turns. I have had nothing but good experiences with them.
    LET IT RIP!

tomas Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Aero
    Has anyone had any experience using circle hooks....specifically the Daiichi Bleeding Bait hooks?.
    I haven't used that particular brand, but I did find some #4 circle hooks that work quite nicely. Brand name escapes me, but I found them at Sports Authority.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I have used circle hooks for about 3 years now. They work fine once you change your fishing style. DON't set the hook, the first fishing trips are the worse, WHAT'S WRONG they worked GREAT LAST TIME, DUH Stop setting the hook. I'm 52 and its hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Most of the time crappie slam the bait and set themselves,Bass,Perch, Warmouth do also. However Pickeral and crappies being sneaky swim off with the bait and swallow the hook. At those times I switch back to a gold aberdeen light wire. As any other product you need to master it,I've been on this site about 6 years now and still suck big time using jigs.[see old dog line earlier] I go to relax and fish the way I wish but its fun seeing local flip when I release the catch. I swear if they could figure a way to cook the minnows some folks here in south Va. would. GOOD FISHING LARRY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast