PDA

View Full Version : I'm back and so is Orange Lake

bnwbassman
10-17-2005, 02:00 PM
Caught 51 fish on Orange lake yesterday. Kept 27 between 3/4 and a pound and a half. Just like last year this time, fat slabs. Guess someone else got the word out though because there must have been a hundred boats out there. Alot of them were using bobbers and minnow though, I could not find any bait stores open so no minnows here, just jigs and watching them guys with minnows I caught about 5 to every one they caught. Best bait after sun got up was Crappie Stop Orange head with green glitter tail tightlined about 4ft in 10 feet of water.

BigPaul
10-18-2005, 02:32 PM
any pics?? and where exactly is Orange Lake??

bnwbassman
10-19-2005, 01:26 PM
Get you some pics soon as I develop them. Its in between Ocala Florida and Gainesville.

Joe
10-19-2005, 03:32 PM
Is the Lake holding and is it at normal level?
Joe

QUOTE=bnwbassman]Get you some pics soon as I develop them. Its in between Ocala Florida and Gainesville.[/QUOTE]

bnwbassman
10-19-2005, 04:46 PM
Way over level. Been that way since the hurricanes last year. I think it not being fished for so many years really let the crappie population explode, because there are alot of them there.

BigPaul
10-19-2005, 06:10 PM
Get you some pics soon as I develop them. Its in between Ocala Florida and Gainesville.

Thanks! ;)

crappie ranger
10-20-2005, 12:30 PM
How close to the Harris Chain lakes? I am usually down in the winter thought I might check it out?

BigPaul
10-21-2005, 10:38 PM
I'm looking to head up to Orange Lake soon. Was wondering if anyone is planning on going, maybe we can hook up and whats the easiest way to get there .... I'm driving from the Altamonte Springs area.

Joe
10-22-2005, 12:50 PM
I have a place on little lake Harris.
What lake on the Harris Chain do you fish?
Joe

How close to the Harris Chain lakes? I am usually down in the winter thought I might check it out?

bnwbassman
10-22-2005, 03:19 PM
I always take 301 north through Citra all the way to Island Grove you will see a sign on right. Take a Left at the sign, (I think its CR325) That is the same road that Cross Creek is on and the Yearling restraunt, You can put in at Cross Creek or Marjorie Rawlings Park about 1/2 mile before cross creek. PS. Crappie ranger, Its kinda hell and gone from Harris Chain. Worth the drive though.

bnwbassman
10-22-2005, 03:23 PM
Heading up there tomorrow,(SUNDAY) Marjorie Rawlings ramp ,look for the Blue Bravada pulling a 16ft monark with rod holders all over it.,and I will show you some fish.

BigPaul
10-22-2005, 04:09 PM
tomorrows no good for me .... what about during the week?

Joe
10-22-2005, 06:01 PM
You mentioned the restaurant.
Has it opened. Last account I had it wqs still closed,
Used to live to eat there.
Joe

I always take 301 north through Citra all the way to Island Grove you will see a sign on right. Take a Left at the sign, (I think its CR325) That is the same road that Cross Creek is on and the Yearling restraunt, You can put in at Cross Creek or Marjorie Rawlings Park about 1/2 mile before cross creek. PS. Crappie ranger, Its kinda hell and gone from Harris Chain. Worth the drive though.

bnwbassman
10-24-2005, 04:02 PM
Yes I think it is open.. Was going to go to Orange lake on Sunday, got half way there and my bud called and told me it was whitecapping at 6am so changed plans and went to Lake Bryant in the Ocala National Forest, caught 3 fish in 4 hours. Well that means time to move on, headed down to Moss Bluff and put in on the low side, Water was clean(the dam wasnt open) and almost no current. Caught 31 in about 3 hours (kept a couple I probably should have thrown back ) Also caught a mudfish that weighed 18lbs 12oz on my 12 ft crappie pole and 6lb test(that has to be some kinda record) and a couple of warmouth and a Jack fish(pike) that weighed about 5 lbs. alot of trash fish down there but alot of crappie also. Embankments kept the wind down so it was very nice fishing until they opened the dam and let all that crap in the river.

BigPaul
10-28-2005, 12:56 PM
thinking about heading up to Orange Lake sometime next week. bnwbassman, you plan on fishing there?? if so, I could meet up with you.

bnwbassman
10-31-2005, 03:27 PM
I might try to get out there this coming weekend, if its nothing like this past weekend. Windy and fishless.

BigPaul
10-31-2005, 08:24 PM
let me know ... I can make it Sat if the weather is good

Joe
11-03-2005, 05:09 PM
How was your Sat. trip?
May try to get up there middle of next week.
Would love to hear some current info on Orange.
Joe

let me know ... I can make it Sat if the weather is good

BigPaul
11-03-2005, 06:38 PM
tried fishing Monroe today, way too windy. will try to make Orange Lake this Sat, weather permitting. If I go, I'll post some info for you Joe.

bnwbassman
11-03-2005, 08:46 PM
Yea, the wind got me too. Caught 4 keepers. Wind was pushing me about 3mph, way too fast, tried dragging a logging chain and that slowed me down to about 1.1 but you couldn't turn very good or the wind would tangle your lines, just had to keep it to your back and go with it. Hate that kinda wind.