Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Rock 9/18/14

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Red Rock 9/18/14

We made it over there Sat. for our first time ever.That lake was GREAT but the wind was making some killer waves in places .We caught a good mess of crappies,keeped 40 between the 3 of us that were over 11.5"-14".There's a pic. of them here on the brag board http://www.crappie.com/classified/image.php?Id=49 .We got the fish slow trolloing rigs in 10-13' of water. The pic. was taken outside of the Red Rock Trading Post Bait Shop on Hwy G28.We didn't buy anything there,we just stopped in to ask if there was a fish cleaning station near by we could use.The man behind the counter said there was one by the dam about a mile away.But then he told us we could clean our catch there and he went out of his way to help us with it.To me that makes a place a step above the rest they're a class act in our book and will get a visit from us each time were over there.
    :D Give a man a crappie you feed him for a day...teach a man to fish for crappie and get rid of him for the weekend!!!

Swanie Guest

Hi! What type of jig and what colors did you use? And did you tip the jig with anything? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Dick
    Iowa Falls
    Last edited by Swanie; 09-20-2004 at 07:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanie
    Hi! What type of jig and what colors did you use? And did you tip the jig with anything? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Dick
    Iowa Falls
    Dick, We made are first run useing jigs at diffrent depths and colors picking up only 2 crappies.Then we switched over to 2 way crappie rigs with just minnows made the same pass as the first one with the jigs picking up quite a few crappies.From this point on we just ran 2 way rigs.We just slooooowed trolled along the bank holding the boat in water from 9.5-12.8'.Two rods were set around 6' deep at the top hook 7' at the bottom.the two other rods on the front were just off the bottom.We went out deeper and up shallower with little to no luck.The surface temp. was 69 deg. when we got there and raised to 74 deg. by time we left.Buddy in the back of the boat keep throwing jigs with no luck.We were told by the DNR when we got there and a bait shop owner that crappies are no where to be found and that we were 4-8 weeks to early for the crappies.We liked are first trip there so well were going back in 2or3 weeks from now.I'm thinking they will be on a jig bite more then.I hope when we go over there we'll have anough time to sink a few brush piles,that place needs some help. I hope this helps you,I couldn't find anyone that has been over there for 4-5 months for info.Let me know how it goes if you get there.
    :D Give a man a crappie you feed him for a day...teach a man to fish for crappie and get rid of him for the weekend!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Nice catch Lee. Didn't take the boy this time huh? I hear he has been out fishing ol' Dad! :D I just met your fishing buddy in the picture last Friday when I was up at 5 seasons bait. We will have to go wet some lines together sometime!

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lebruce
    We made it over there Sat. for our first time ever.That lake was GREAT but the wind was making some killer waves in places .We caught a good mess of crappies,keeped 40 between the 3 of us that were over 11.5"-14".There's a pic. of them here on the brag board http://www.crappie.com/classified/image.php?Id=49 .We got the fish slow trolloing rigs in 10-13' of water. The pic. was taken outside of the Red Rock Trading Post Bait Shop on Hwy G28.We didn't buy anything there,we just stopped in to ask if there was a fish cleaning station near by we could use.The man behind the counter said there was one by the dam about a mile away.But then he told us we could clean our catch there and he went out of his way to help us with it.To me that makes a place a step above the rest they're a class act in our book and will get a visit from us each time were over there.
    Nice catch lebruce! I looks like the bite should start down here in South Louisiana pretty soon. We are starting to get some cool weather, which should help a lot or at least make it easier to stay on the water longer.
    Hope to catch some like yours pretty soon.
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Post Thanks / Like

Dick, We made are first run useing jigs at diffrent depths and colors picking up only 2 crappies.Then we switched over to 2 way crappie rigs with just minnows made the same pass as the first one with the jigs picking up quite a few crappies.From this point on we just ran 2 way rigs.We just slooooowed trolled along the bank holding the boat in water from 9.5-12.8'.Two rods were set around 6' deep at the top hook 7' at the bottom.the two other rods on the front were just off the bottom.We went out deeper and up shallower with little to no luck.The surface temp. was 69 deg. when we got there and raised to 74 deg. by time we left.Buddy in the back of the boat keep throwing jigs with no luck.We were told by the DNR when we got there and a bait shop owner that crappies are no where to be found and that we were 4-8 weeks to early for the crappies.We liked are first trip there so well were going back in 2or3 weeks from now.I'm thinking they will be on a jig bite more then.I hope when we go over there we'll have anough time to sink a few brush piles,that place needs some help. I hope this helps you,I couldn't find anyone that has been over there for 4-5 months for info.Let me know how it goes if you get there.
    lebruce,
    When ya"ll went to the 2-way crappie rig using minnows did you put a heavy weight at the bottom of the line (below the last minnow) in order to keep the line straight down?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon
    lebruce,
    When ya"ll went to the 2-way crappie rig using minnows did you put a heavy weight at the bottom of the line (below the last minnow) in order to keep the line straight down?
    Deacon, The rigs we were useing were normal premade rigs with a snap at the bottom for the weight.Here's a link to a pic. of one http://www.eagleclaw.com/rigs1.html you can get these at wallyword,basspro,and cabelas.

Post Thanks / Like

Deacon, The rigs we were useing were normal premade rigs with a snap at the bottom for the weight.Here's a link to a pic. of one http://www.eagleclaw.com/rigs1.html you can get these at wallyword,basspro,and cabelas.
    Thanks lebruce. I will stop after work today a stock up on them.

Thumbs up ok- comment from [email protected]

undefinedundefinedundefinedundefined
    OK I just wanted to make a remark here about how much I enjoyed finding this site and the photo of the three men and their crappie haul. I had just been down behind the house catching crappie and blue-gill right and left to pitch and remove from the pond as they take tend to take it over. Cant just toss them on the edge as the dog will roll in them. So my new kick is to re-cycle them into a worm bed. ( Boycotting paying 1.75 for a dozen scrawny earthworms from a bait shop in town.) I have a tub oozing with live nightcrawlers that I am going to attempt to keep over the winter. The other 2 beds are outdoors under a shade tree and in three days alone- they have supplied me with at least six worms a shovel scoop. So that vermicomposting truly works.
    Now back to the amusement end of this. I did get a real kick out of once again seeing that it takes all kinds to make a world. And that people can look at the same thing and see it so differently than another person. Here I am cursing and loathing the overload of crappie and bluegill and then I see this picture of the proud catches. OK- heres my fishing tips., I may be a woman, but I have no trouble catching all the fish I desire-- I read many of these comments on this board and am still shaking my head in amazement. OK- Ill teach you guys HOW to fish- take notes-- here we go----- they only bite about the last two hours before sundown. They NEVER bite after a rain. Never during a rain either. OK- heres the trick------- via your line- drop them some easy worms to devour- let them get away. THEN start dropping numerous lines in that same spot. Get out of the boat and leave that for skiing,etc- stand in one spot-where the water is more still --- dont move around. Keep the movement and noise down. They will keep coming back to where they know the food is. I have the best luck about 8 feet from shorelines.
    Now- you might want to look into this---> I heard that if the state at any point helped a farmer build or stock a pond on his land - that the public IS ALLOWED to openly fish? To ask first-----is polite----- in the very least. I think you could go thru the DNR or extension office or what-ever and get a list of available ponds that should be well stocked. Right now- farm ponds are over-run with these things --as ducks bring the eggs in on their feet.
    However- it could be the boating , the outing, the companionship, WHO KNOWS what would possess anyone to actually seek these fish out------- but a huge moving lake with boating activities , loud motors is the hard way to go about this- if you want them in BULK for perhaps a huge fish fry------ look into farm ponds. To be honest with you- right now - they are sooooooooooo thick- you can drop a empty hook and they are biting.
    OK - so anyway- I was just bored here and decided to put in my two cents worth. Smile- it takes all kinds to make a world- HAPPY FISHING!!!
    I once thought about using my rental trailor as a hunting or fishing lodge- maybe when the tenant moves out I will re-consider this as an option again.
    The pond is on another property, but only three miles from there- but that place is 19 acres of deer and wildlife. A regular Lowell Thomas wild kingdom. Ok I guess Im done babbling.

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently you have never fished after a rain, during a rain, or any time other than 2 hours before sundown. Not only do they bite at other times I have personally caught them at other times and from a boat. But this is just my own observation.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast