Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: water temp question

Post Thanks / Like

Default water temp question

I was thinking the other day about when the water temperature reaches around 65* in the fall, do crappie go to laydowns like they do in spring or is it a springtime thing?

Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends on your lake and what cover you have in the shallows, the fronts that may be locating the bait. The crappie will be following the bait fish. if you have shallow lay-downs or huts, they will go to that, Boat docks they will migrate to that. You have to remember that the crappie are not coming to the shallows to spawn at this time, their primary reason is to eat bait fish. Contrary to popular belief they don't fatten up for the winter. No animal can go 5 to 7 months without eating (except maybe a bear).The crappie will just eat less when the water temp. cools. They are simply moving with the bait. So goes the bait, so goes the crappie. I would start looking at the first cover in 5 to 10 feet then move to shallow docks, wood, or grass. once you locate them you have to stay on them. they will move a lot at this time. Don't forget to check the 15' to 25' areas also.

I hope this helps, This is just what I would do because the lake I fish has a lot of different shallow cover.
    Darin
    Last edited by crappyman; 10-03-2009 at 04:37 PM.
    Keep some for the pan, let the larger ones go back for another day!
    Tight Lines!

~Big D

Post Thanks / Like

Default they do here

water temp is about 68 in southern IL and the fish have moved to the laydowns. So yes they do here.
    Rend Lake Crappie Guides
    www.crappiextreme.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. The water temp in NC is around 70* +/- so in a couple of weeks I'll try going shallow!

Post Thanks / Like

We catch them shallow on the oxbow lakes when the water cools.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep...the mid 60's seems to be the "sweet spot" for crappie going up to the shallows again, before going back deep again. It's the best part of the fall as far as I'm concerned.

Post Thanks / Like

64 deg on the water today, could only catch them 12' to 16'.??????? Haven't caught a fish shallow here since last fall. 2009 has been the weirdest weather I have ever seen here in Souther IN.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944