Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Screen Shot at a new nice spot

Post Thanks / Like

Default Screen Shot at a new nice spot

From Yesterday when searching out some future spots. Wish the pic had all of what I wanted to show, but that tree top on the bottom has a huge tree with it.
    Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

OK Skip, for those of us not familiar with that type electronics....explain what we are looking at please. I can see what I think are tree limbs, looks to me like a hump on the bottom maybe, but I really don't know.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-3 Fisherman View Post
    OK Skip, for those of us not familiar with that type electronics....explain what we are looking at please. I can see what I think are tree limbs, looks to me like a hump on the bottom maybe, but I really don't know.
    First let me explain that I am not sure if I turned around or if there is 2 creeks there. Now that I got that out lets just look at the top half of the picture.

The boat is in the middle and the dark portion in how deep the water is so the wider the dark area in the middle the deeper it is at that spot so what you see is as it gets deeper the dark area gets wider showing the drop off. The tree top you see is laying on the bottom and the rest of the big tree is off screen on this shot. Now the left side also shows another tree and brush with fish. Looking at this the left and right after the dark middle is looking left and right 42' each side so they are not the same tree or brush pile.

Brush which I believe is there is hard to see on the side scan, because it take a nice size limb to show up so the normal brush that is put in the lake will seem just a kind of messy or wistful area. The shadows you see as dark lines going right and left are from the stumps or standing trees as they not only show up as a tall tree stump, but they will have a shadow. We are not talking a shadow from the sun, but a shadow from the sonar since it will not go through a bit piece of wood or a bridge piling so they all will have a shadow.

I believe these are crappie and some bait fish mixed in, but someone that has looked at a lot more than I have needs to say this for sure, but I also used regular sonar and there are fish other than bait fins here for sure and maybe that whole group is fish?? I say that as usually a ball of bait fish will not show up as individual spots you can see as separate and this bunch looks like fish to me. On the right side near the top there is a bait ball that is kind of small (kind of oval looking shape) and looks more like not separate fish, but an area almost off the snap shot.

When you can see individual spots (easier to see on the left side) that would have to be large bait fish or crappie or some schooling fish kind.

Some of the tree stumps that have shadows come all the way to the surface of the lake and some don't.

Hope this helps and if you have any other questions please just ask.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a snap shot I took when I first got this unit and had the intensity up to high, but still shows what I want to show. Where you see there is so much white area it shouldn't be so had to turn my setting down a bit. You can clearly see the bridge pilings to each side and how they have shadows. Also you know these pilings come up to the surface and more on the lake or the bridge wouldn't have cars going over it, LOL! A little levity here.
    Skip

Peak Vise Dealer

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

OK....thanks Skip, I can see it all better now. Pretty cool!
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Skip, which unit do you have?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldwhiskers View Post
    Skip, which unit do you have?
    I have the 1197, but I also just learned how useful the regular sonar can be on the HB units. I always thought the fish ID feature was almost useless, but not so. You can use the Fish ID feature on a HB and have both wide and narrow cones turned on and the fish that show up in Blue are under the boat and in the narrow cone and any fish that shows up in orange is in the 60 degree cone so is off to the side of the boat. Also learned some other really cool things about that regular one. So I will be using both my side scan and regular sonar a lot more.

Also some thing that will show up on a HB unit will not show up on a Lowrance using the same map chip.

Have not used this enough to be really good and have a lot more to learn and can't wait.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

That is a great find Skip ! May you enjoy the fruits of your research.

Post Thanks / Like

Great pics and explaination.

Couple of other things.
    Light spots on the image is high spots, humps.
    Dark spots is the other side of a hump. Look for fish on both sidesof the hump.

Wish I had a side image unit. I did spend a couple days with a buddy who has one. It really beats the **** out of a regular sonur unit.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 10-04-2009 at 09:47 PM.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!