Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New reel..few questions..

Post Thanks / Like

Default New reel..few questions..

I didn't get a book with it but sent the company an email asking for one..

it's a quantum code cd870cx. It's a rocketship compared to what I'm used to.
    Few questions...
    1. where do I oil the bearings? or how do I get to them?
    2. I watched a fishing show on tv called fishing with rusty, he said something about using braided line but putting some regular on it first to keep it from busing the reel.. how much regular before I put on the high dollar stuff?
    3. any hints on ajusting knobs? I have one small one on the left..and a huge one on the right...then drag on the handle..

I'm pretty excited.. I always wanted a real baitcaster that wasn't an old saltwater one.

I'm hoping I can cast a long ways with it..

Thanks in advance.
    "Our greatest happiness does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of a good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits." - Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

If it's a new reel, it shouldn't need oil. Rememeber this...a little oil goes a loooong way!! Using too much oil just gums the reel up and you have to clean it more often.

15 to 20 yds of regular mono backing before braided line will do the trick. Braided line is so slick, it will actally slip on the reeel without the mono backing.

adjust the right knob to the weight of the lure. the bait should suspend, or drop ever so slightly.

Use the left knob to lessen the chance at overruns (backlashes).

Get out and practice.

Good luck.

Gman
    We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If this is your very first baitcasting reel then I recommend you buy the cheapest mono available until yuove mastered casting. Then you might want to change and spool will filler and braid.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't try to cast for distance at first until you can cast it without backlashes. Everyone wants to start and throw their lure as far as they can and with the reel not adjusted properly you will backlash everytime. Adjust your reel to just barely drop once you push the thumb bar and let your lure or practice plug drop to the ground, loosen your reel until you can drop it free spooling and when it hit the ground it doesn't over run, and the reel stops turning. Now cast it about 10-15 feet and cast with a side arm cast at first. DO NOT try a overhand cast until you get comfortable casting side arm. This you can do in your yard at first until you are comfortable at casting it. Don't take it to the lake until you can cast it without any backlashes at least for 20 casts in a row. Buy a pick for it and you will be ahead of the game in the long run. I still carry one in my tackle box to undo those occasional over runs, or birds nest. Even the pro will get an over run every now and then. DO NOT cast them into the wind. always in a cross wind or with the wind at your back. After you get a little more proficient you can try roll casts and over hand cast and flip casting and pitching and all the other types of casting. There will be times when you will use each type of casting technic. Have fun and be patient. This won't come to you over night. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ditto what beaver said. All I want to add is to lean your thumb on the frame next to the spool and lever your thumb into the line instead of going directly into the center of the spool. Better control, at least til you adjust to it some. I still do it that way, 30 some years now.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    Ditto what beaver said. All I want to add is to lean your thumb on the frame next to the spool and lever your thumb into the line instead of going directly into the center of the spool. Better control, at least til you adjust to it some. I still do it that way, 30 some years now.

ty for the tips, I looked at the reel closer and it looks like somebody took it apart so I'm going to return it .

I need to slow down and do this right. I'll get one.. just gotta slow down.
    "Our greatest happiness does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of a good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits." - Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

ok..went to Basspro shops between kids band competitions. I really am starting to love that place. Folks seem to know what they are talking about and don't mind showing/explaining anything I have a question about.

I came home with a brand new basspro qualifier reel with warranty. Between Mary and Robert I not only found a reel I feel comfortable with, I know how to use it better too. They each spent about 20 minutes showing me how to adjust the reel and cast differnt ways. I got some practice rubber plugs to use in the yard.

I also got some really good help with my winter fishing cloths. I got the bass pro series parka and a pair of fishing pants where the legs zip off.

So now I'm saving up for the Bibs, liner for the parka, gloves and hat.....

I may not catch many fish this winter but hopefully I won't be frozen cold :D ... This reel has more adjustments than the high cotten watch my lovely bride got me for our anniversary :D.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget to take care of your face. Zippin across the water, especially in the early hours, can be genuinely frigid. Look up a mask called a "Save Phace", or go to a motorcycle shop for a soft material version. I use a balaclava when it's real cold. Kinda like a mask or head cover used for turkey hunting but made from fleece. Super warm and keeps drafts from around your neck. Got mine at wally for cheap. A fleece dickie works good for the in between days for around your neck.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    Don't forget to take care of your face. Zippin across the water, especially in the early hours, can be genuinely frigid. Look up a mask called a "Save Phace", or go to a motorcycle shop for a soft material version. I use a balaclava when it's real cold. Kinda like a mask or head cover used for turkey hunting but made from fleece. Super warm and keeps drafts from around your neck. Got mine at wally for cheap. A fleece dickie works good for the in between days for around your neck.
    ty sir.. I still need to get gloves/hat/face/bibs/liner for coat and liner if I'm STILL cold.. hehe.. not sure If I'll run my boat into Dec/Jan if I can find someone to take along with. I'm new at boating and would rather be with someone experienced than just me. I'm not sure how to keep my motor from freezing and getting all the water out each time...can't see doing anti-freeze everytime I get home... *shrg*..

this new reel is VERY different than anything I've used. It's much more precise I'm having a blast...cats are enjoying it when I practice inside...harder to do tho with an almost 6' rod hehe..

Post Thanks / Like

balaclava and some old ski goggles I have will probably be the way I get to go.. I already have the ski goggles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast