Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Slip Cork Rig

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slip Cork Rig

I'm still perfecting my slip cork rigs and came up with this and thought I'd share it. I sometimes want to use the rig to drag by trees in shallow. The regular slip rig when tied straight to the jig would always pull up when dragging so I wanted a way to set minimum depth. This solved it with a leader on a swivel. I also hate losing the whole rig when hung so I'm using 6# leader with 20# braid on top. This way I get the bobber & beads back if the Jig is hung beyond hope.
    Last edited by BigMack; 10-02-2009 at 10:22 AM.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

You can also use a second bobber stop underneath the bobber....for example.......instead of where you have your swivel....just place abobber stop on your line in that position. Works for me!
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-3 Fisherman View Post
    You can also use a second bobber stop underneath the bobber....for example.......instead of where you have your swivel....just place abobber stop on your line in that position. Works for me!
    I've done that as well but it seems with constant casting the stop works it's way down the line over time.

FWIW, Mack is my tourney partner and has seen that issue before when we fish together so that may be part of his thought process with this rig. That and having to troll into the bank during the spawn to retrieve my broke off Thill bobbers....

Post Thanks / Like

Why not just use a clip on float? I have some that are the same shape as the slip one you have pictured, both weighted and un-weighted.

I always thought the reason to use a slip style float was to be able to cast with your float set to 5ft deep or more. Anything under that, I use a clip-on most times.

I usually bring 3 rods with me unless I know for sure where the fish are...... 1 set-up with a slip float, 1 with a clip on bobber, and 1 left blank to be able to switch up with anything else, cranks, in-lines, or to just swim jigs. If I "think" I know where the fish are, I will pre-rig 2 poles the same and leave the 3rd to experiment with.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to use clip floaters long ago but I prefer slippers because I can feel the bite through the direct line to the jig. Also when pulling it along, as it gets to deeper water, I can stop it then let it go deeper right beside a tree. You also put dents in the the line with clippers, especially flouro, that I think can weaken the line. A slipper is a much better and more flexible "Finess" rig.
    BTW I carry a minimum of 7 rods. Left over ways I had back in the bass days.
    You wouldn't believe all the stuff Mike brings.

Post Thanks / Like

Slip floats are good and I use them alot. However, I also use fixed floats alot, because sometimes fish hit on the way down and I have trouble detecting the bite when a slip is involved.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fished-out View Post
    I also use fixed floats alot, because sometimes fish hit on the way down and I have trouble detecting the bite when a slip is involved.

Good point. I fish fixed floats the vast majority of the time. Because I'm usually fishing with a 12' rod, I can easily fish 9-10' deep with a fixed float. Only in deeper water would I go to a slip float.