Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: History of Crappie .com

Post Thanks / Like

Default History of Crappie .com

I am courious about the history of crappie .com. Who started it, how did it get started, who were some of the first member, and any other information about the sites first days. I thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my questions.
    DR Fish

Post Thanks / Like

Great question and post. I have been a member for three years or so. I wondered the same things when I joined.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drfish View Post
    I am courious about the history of crappie .com. Who started it, how did it get started, who were some of the first member, and any other information about the sites first days. I thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my questions.
    yea i think that would be some good reading. i'd likke to know this too.:D
    Got crappie?:D

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink We'd probably ....

... have to get Ed to chime in on this, for a certified answer :p (he is the site owner & originator )

I've been here since around 2000-2001 ... found the site when I Googled "Crappie", and joined up right then & there. I believe the site was already a couple of years old, back then, but the membership numbers were pretty small (best I can remember). Not sure exactly how long I was a member, before becoming the site's first Moderator ... but, I don't think it was more than a matter of months. The site has changed so much, over these last 8+yrs, and grown so much, it's like night & day compared to the original.
    The original site was hacked and spammed so bad that it had to be put down :p and a whole new format created. I'm not sure that any of the posts and info, from the first site, are available for retrieval. But ... here's a link to what is still in the archives (latest date is Apr 2004) This was when Ed set up the new format:

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/archiv....php/f-18.html

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I think it would be interesting to hear the history.

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I started the site in 1996. That's when I bought the domain name and set up the first message board. I am a computer geek so I ran the site out of my house. It was slow growing, but it pretty much doubled in size every year since I originally opened it.

Since I started the site, I've moved it from server, to new server, probably once every year or two, because of that growth. There was even a time when board members started sending me money, without me even saying a word, to upgrade my server.

Three years ago, instead of moving it to another server, I simply turned off “statistics” to reduce the work on the computer. Then at the beginning of last year, a board member, Bill P. offered me a deal to host the site at http://www.Highspeedweb.net, where he worked. I moved it from my home, to HidhSpeedWeb, and once I seen the statistics I freaked out. Crappie.com was getting over a million hits a day. We've finally hit the big time, but it was all good, we were still a very friendly, family orientated site.

There have been so many members participating and helping on the site over the years that I can't mention them all. It has definitely been a group effort. With the constant Spam, and the occasional disagreements, I know it has not been easy, CrappiePappy has probably been the biggest contributor, I can't thank him enough.

I got to say, crappie.com has it's own life. It is it's own phenomenon, an outgrowth of the friendly nature crappie fishing brings about. Crappie fishing is more about friends and family, than cut throat competition, and that is directly reflected on crappie.com, and the nature of it's membership.

Just so you know, yes I am a computer geek, I worked in the computer field for 25 years of my life. I was a Mainframe and Unix guy, whereas my wife, a computer geek also, is a Windows gal, Microsoft certified 20 ways to Sunday. I was born and raised in the city of Chicago, but I always had an affinity for the country. I hunted and fished every chance I could get, in Wisconsin, Illinois and Michigan. I grew up hating the city and loving the country. My wife is from the country, a small town in Michigan, so it would figure that she would become my partner. Her family is big time into hunting/fishing. As time has gone by, and with my own family growing, I've become very passionate about Crappie and Panfish fishing. Its a wonderful way to spend time with friends and family.

Thanks for asking, I also published it here:
    http://crappie.com/content/view/201/1/
    Last edited by Slab; 10-01-2009 at 10:34 AM. Reason: added the link to the article
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

WOW....a great story and a great website. Thank you for starting it and keeping it going.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Just awesome...this sight brings together not only a wealth of knowledge but some of the best people across all demographics who share the passion for crappie fishing..truly one of a kind and i know i would be personally lost without it!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Slab for the story and this site........

Gary
    cork'n crappie

Post Thanks / Like

slab, i have only been a member for a little over a year now, but i want to thank you for having this site, and keeping it up. i don't agree with everything but i like to hear differant opinios on everything from crappie fishing, hunting, and the rest of the world.
    please don't change anything, this is my new home on the net.
    GOD bless you and all your family, and thanks for everything on your forum.
    Bobby Allen (sothunfried).
    Got crappie?:D

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast